SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Magical Bi-Colour Moon

FLO

This magical image was taken and composed by the explorer of lunar colors, Filipe Alves. Unlike many lunar color images that are composited from separate images through three filters, Filipe made this one with only two filtered views. Here is his description:

Here I send you an unusual view of the moon, created by using the ratios between red and blue wavelengths translated to a luminance image; redder material is darker and bluer material is lighter, the color in the image translates the absolute albedo of the surface, with the bluish tones being bright material, and the reddish or yellowish tones darker material…. inverting all this relevant information is important because it enables one to see in detail geologic features in a way that color perception never permits.

image.jpg

http://www.lpod.org/?cat=28

The Moon always is interesting, but this reveals a lot more detail. Absolute cracker of a photo.

I think, and maybe one of the imagers may want to try, taking two photos, one in red and the other in blue filtration, then inverting the images in Photoshop, before combining. Be interesting to see how it turns out.

nabban

Yes Caz, when get your web cam / lapdancer sorry laptop maybe you could give it a go :laugh:

I know that with a b&w camera, if you take three images one each through a red then green and a blue filter, then project the three images back through the corresponding filter at the same time, you end up with a colour picture. That is basically how colour film and other imaging devices work.

nabban

I will be giving it a go. I will play around with some other images first to see how it works.

(Don't tell anyone, especially the cloud God, but I have just had two clear nights, last night and the one before. Had a great time trying Messiers with my 80mm f5 frac, and Saturn on the old tube. Also the first night there was a low level aurora that hung low in the North with the occasional ray shoting up, and again last night a much weaker aurora. Tonight is :laugh: :laugh:)

nabban

oh god now this may sound strange coming from me , hmmm i have the software or should i say i downloaded it a while back , , but i,m not sure i like it , some ppl do make it look nice i guess , and in some cases it does show some more detail , i think maybe a wee bit of colour and not to rich may look ok , , well the best thing is for me to do it i guess have to rig the ole Toucam up next time and get an image ,

Rog

:laugh:

Archived