Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need some inspiration....

I've bagged m13 and m92 a few times over the last few weeks so could do with some inspiration. Can anyone recommend a good next target? Problem is I think I've been spoilt a bit by M13!

I found M81/2 a week or so ago, suppose I could revisit them - really want to get my sketching pencils out...

Theres a few caveats though - I'm using a SW 127 Mak on a tabletop mount so the usual suspects that are reaching the zenith aren't really that comfortable for me to find at the moment in the red dot sight - also the back of my house face almost due west - I have reasonable vistas of the southern, western and northern skies but anything involving looking even vaguely east is out of the question thanks to "her indoors" :boxing:. and a bewilderingly narrow minded attitude about getting military grade blackout shutters for the entire rear of our house.... :rolleyes2:

Ive looked through turn left at Orion but nothing is really grabbing me and I'm not in a "ticking things off the list" kind of mood at the mo. Also averagely light polluted skies. Can't find M51 - but that's because it doesn't exist, I'm sure of it. It's just one big joke aimed at me!

Anyone got any personal faves?? 

Thanks!

Your mak is ideal for globulars and planetary nebulas.  M15 is bright as is M2 both well placed.  And a lot of planetary neb. look good, some with a hint of colour. I looked at the Saturn nebula last night which is bright, the blue snowball is great and they take magnification well -  you can never tire of the Dumbbell.  Hope you find some inspiration.

andrew

36 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

Can't find M51 - but that's because it doesn't exist, I'm sure of it. It's just one big joke aimed at me!

I found M51 in 10x50 binoculars a couple of nights ago ... you`ll definitely find it when the tail of the Bear is higher in the sky :happy7:

Another glob deep south: M 22. M 8 and above it, the other summer splendours, as the Trifid M 20, Omega M 17, Eagle M 16 (UHC filter helps), .....

A challenge for the morning hours (transit time 3h34min CEST): NGC 246 in Cetus, the "Skull Nebula", 6°N of Beta Ceti, a nice 10,6 mag planetary of 4 arc min diameter, with four embedded stars (UHC again helps).

Good luck hunting them down!

Stephan

Was checking out Stellarium for some targets later in the year - actually found a quirk in Stellarium, it missed all of September out when I advanced 1 month from today. Went to Oct 1.

Drag up Stellarium, press f4, set DSO magnitude to 8, tick the box to apply. Lots of fainter stuff goes and oddly there are lots of globular clusters left.

After that Albireo, Almaak, double double in Lyra, would M57 appear ?

23 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

M15 is bright as is M2 both well placed

A couple of nights ago M15 was very bright and clear in the 200P but nearby M2 was impossible to find ... tried many times with binoculars as well to no avail ... Gonna try that Blue Snowball for the first time tonight as well as M2 again :icon_biggrin:

How about M3? Not particularly high but doable in the west at around 25 degrees now.

NGC 457 is fun in Cassiopeia or there is the Dumbbell in Vulpecula although the moon won't help with that.

46 minutes ago, Red Dwarfer said:

I found M51 in 10x50 binoculars a couple of nights ago ... you`ll definitely find it when the tail of the Bear is higher in the sky :happy7:

No you didn't! You're in on it aren't you? This whole forum is conspiring to get me out there looking for a galaxy that doesn't exist! This goes all the way back to Messier.... somehow....

42 minutes ago, ronin said:

Was checking out Stellarium for some targets later in the year - actually found a quirk in Stellarium, it missed all of September out when I advanced 1 month from today. Went to Oct 1.

Drag up Stellarium, press f4, set DSO magnitude to 8, tick the box to apply. Lots of fainter stuff goes and oddly there are lots of globular clusters left.

After that Albireo, Almaak, double double in Lyra, would M57 appear ?

Good idea - I really must download stellarium!

10 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

No you didn't! You're in on it aren't you?

Well , come to mention it , maybe I drank too much coffee that day and was having hallucinations :happy6:

P.S. The other guys told me to keep quiet about the conspiracy ... there`s going to be a big reveal about M51 next April Fools Day :icon_biggrin:

7 hours ago, Red Dwarfer said:

A couple of nights ago M15 was very bright and clear in the 200P but nearby M2 was impossible to find ... tried many times with binoculars as well to no avail ... Gonna try that Blue Snowball for the first time tonight as well as M2 again :icon_biggrin:

The Blue Snowball is good and easy, but use plenty of mag to make it stand out against the starfield!

Doug.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 22:10, Mr niall said:

No you didn't! You're in on it aren't you? This whole forum is conspiring to get me out there looking for a galaxy that doesn't exist! This goes all the way back to Messier.... somehow....

I was at a reasonably dark site the other week - could see the milky way and all seven major stars of ursa minor - and in my 8" scope I could barely make it out, if I didn't know exactly where it was, I'd likely have missed it.

I have seen it looking spectacular though, but under even darker skies and when it was much higher in the sky - it was low down in the sky glow of Manchester, 30 miles away!

Here's a list I've compiled for my next session I've even added 2 double stars I've never had any interest in these objects but I thought why not-

Session

M15 Globular Cluster

M3 Globular Cluster

NGC 6960 The Veil

M11 Wild Ducks

M8 Lagoon Nebula

Almach Double star

Albireo Double star

This is my targets for my next session I always have a good observation of whatever planets are up and of course the moon and it's lovely mountains and craters.

I like to try and add a bit of variation into my sessions a couple of globs an open cluster and a good Nebula and it usually keeps me busy for a good few hours observation.

Dont get downhearted with not being able to find certain targets, chances are the conditions don't allow.

Sketching is a brilliant way to improve your observational skills and make you truly appreciate each target found.

Clear skies ✨????

Hi Niall

Have you tried calsky.com? It's a great website where you put in your location and your preference for types of targets and it comes back with some ideas.  

The monthly sky guides in Astronomy Now and S@N magazines are always a good source of inspiration.

3 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

Hi Niall

Have you tried calsky.com? It's a great website where you put in your location and your preference for types of targets and it comes back with some ideas.  

The monthly sky guides in Astronomy Now and S@N magazines are always a good source of inspiration.

No I didn't know about that will check it out thanks.

Archived