Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun in Whitelight , 31st August 2017 , 09:30 BST.

Steve Ward

I'm back ... :icon_albino:

Seeing as there is something to focus on again I thought it rude not to point something Sunwards ... :happy8:

Please click on thumbnails for full size.

get.jpg

get.jpg

get.jpg

Canon 1000D + Tal 100RS + ND3.8 + OIII.

1/160s @ ISO 100 , 30/300 , PIPP , AS!2 , Reg 5.1 , Gimp 2.8.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can't see the images Steve...

Edited now Stu , Photobucket playing money-grabbing games , it let me link on Cloudy Nights but not here ... !   Have now linked to the Astrobin gallery images but you'll have to click on the thumbnails to go to the bigguns ... :happy8:

Thank you mate , have to admit there were a few minor headscratches , especially when it came to remembering where I'd hidden the focus controller box and the HEQ5 handset ... I can add quite a few layers to a "pile of stuff" over the course of six months ...  :help:

1 hour ago, Ibbo! said:

Very nice set.

Can I ask how you capture and process your images withe the DSLR.

Do you capture in RAW convert to avi in pipp then stack and process or capture as a mov file?

Hi Steve ,

I shoot sets (usually three) of 100 single RAW frames and batch convert to TIFFs (converting one set as shooting the next) using Canon's DPP.

I then go through each set and use my eyes to select the best quality ( crisply detailed ) frames ... have found that the eye is way better than any software for determining the best frames .

Then I run the best frames through PIPP to centre and crop the frames and output as a 1fps AVI , could probably make it quicker but why rush these things ... (I output as AVI as AS!2 sometimes gets a bit 'sniffy' about a set of individual TIFFs )

Then feed AS!2 the video for stacking  , these are still 2650 x 2650 frames so I use an alignment box of 300 (around 100 alignment points) so as not to sit twiddling my thumbs for ages which occurs if you use a small box of say 40-50 which will throw up about 4000 or more points . It's not the stacking procedure that takes the time but the final Map Recombination so fewer boxes to align the better ... and for no loss of quality in the stack.

N.B. I still use AS!2 V2.3.0.21 which requires you to adjust the frame size in the config. file from the 2000 x 2000  default in order to use bigger frames as those from a DSLR. Easily done though , just open the config. file  , scroll down to the Max Width/Max Height lines , delete the 2000 x 2000 and enter an appropriate number to cover your needs.

Then it's over to Reg 5.1 for Wavelets and other tweaks before a final fine-tune in Gimp  ..... those parts of the process along with the camera setting are a closely guarded secret though ...   :evil7:

Forgot to say that shooting .mov from the camera is pointless as it's little more than a set of jpegs captured from the Livescreen feed and little or no detail is to be had from such a compressed format .

Tried it with the output from an 1100D during my very short time with one , very quickly swapped it in for another 1000D ... :icon_albino:

And the 1100D could never reproduce the same quality of image that it's predecessor can , no matter what I tried settings-wise , there was a processor change from the 450/1000D line to the 1100D which ruined it for my particular needs .

Don't know what 'scope you're using but it's worth having a play with Barlows to get the disc as big as you can on the sensor , I run the Tal with a "tweaked" Barlow that gives me about 1.4x (FL about 1400mm ) leaving just a small margin top and bottom on the 1000D.

Archived