Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

I've talked with Gary Russell - who lives way out in the desert in Arizona with clear skies - and he informed me that his source for the top-end lenses he was using has dried-up. This was last year, so you might want to write him an email and ask him what's he's got in stock prior to placing an order. But here's my experience:

As his stock was diminished greatly, I ordered the 2" 50mm Super-Plössl - and it arrived just fine in about a week. It can take him some time to post, as he's 10 miles into the desert from a post-office. The 50mm SP (image below) was very nice. Nice contrast in all the scopes I tested it in, except my 150mm F12 Maksutov - this as it was too low-powered and would only give me a giant kidney-bean. But this was quite likely as Mak's really are designed for medium and high-powered observation. And 36X was too low for it. But it works well in my other scopes except a 1.25" focuser in my F4 Newtonian.

Gary knows his craft amazingly well, and has been at it for a long time. I wouldn't hesitate to place another order. I've been meaning to check with him to see what's available, and his lens-source - how that's going? A new supply? He had been buying from a source in Japan that specialized in super high-powered microscopes used for reasearch, but the industry had converted to digital, so no more of these lenses were needed. That's why it dried-up. Those lenses were miles beyond the needed quality for astronomical use, so it's bad news for those who like custom gear like what Gary specializes in.

59a760fcf01be_50mmSP.png.6735d4b2169bfbf417d87e155242a18c.png

2" 50mm Super-Plössl

It would be great of you to let us know where Gary stands at present.

Starry Skies,

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont
Sp.
  • Like 1

I picked up a 19mm Konig that appears to have come from a binocular from him though he claims it doesn't.  It works quite well for what it cost, though it is no better than any other classic design eyepiece.  It's no 19mm Panoptic.

3 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I've talked with Gary Russel - who lives way out in the desert in Arizona with clear skies - and he informed me that his source for the top-end lenses he was using has dried-up. This was last year, so you might want to write him an email and ask hime what's he's got in stock prior to placing an order. But here's my experience:

As his stock was diminished greatly, I ordered the 2" 50mm Super-Plössl - and it arrived just fine in about a week. It can take him some time to post, as he's 10 miles into the desert from a post-office. The 50mm SP (image below) was very nice. Nice contrast in all the scopes I tested it in, except my 150mm F12 Maksutov - this as it was too low-powered and would only give me a giant kidney-bean. But this was quite likely as Mak's really are designed for medium and high-powered observation. And 36X was too low for it. But it works well in my other scopes except a 1.25" focuser in my F4 Newtonian.

Gary knows his craft amazingly well, and has been at it for a long time. I wouldn't hesitate to place another order. I've been meaning to check with him to see what's available, and his lens-source - how that's going? A new supply? He had been buying from a source in Japan that specialized in super high-powered microscopes used for reasearch, but the industry had converted to digital, so no more of these lenses were needed. That's why it dried-up. Those lenses were miles beyond the needed quality for astronomical use, so it's bad news for those who like custom gear like what Gary specializes in.

59a760fcf01be_50mmSP.png.6735d4b2169bfbf417d87e155242a18c.png

2" 50mm Super-Plössl

It would be great of you to let us know where Gary stands at present.

Starry Skies,

Dave

http://russell-optics.com/index.html

Amazing, I hope they find another Japanese lens supplier someday, but it seems like they found lens in Taiwan has in the description from: NEW 1.25" 19mm Super-Wide Konig

These are not research-grade or "XL" lenses from Japan; they are made with the finest lenses from Taiwan, now used by just about every high-end eyepiece on the market.

I like what I read on the website to, things like:

No middle-men, no inflated mark-ups, just good quality optics and machine work at fair and affordable prices, directly from the manufacturer to you.

or

Here at Russell Optics, we believe in discussing what you need rather than selling you something that you don't.

I should buy something from Russel just from for the honest talk, I like that very much.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

http://russell-optics.com/index.html

Amazing, I hope they find another Japanese lens supplier someday, but it seems like they found lens in Taiwan has in the description from: NEW 1.25" 19mm Super-Wide Konig

These are not research-grade or "XL" lenses from Japan; they are made with the finest lenses from Taiwan, now used by just about every high-end eyepiece on the market.

I like what I read on the website to, things like:

No middle-men, no inflated mark-ups, just good quality optics and machine work at fair and affordable prices, directly from the manufacturer to you.

or

Here at Russell Optics, we believe in discussing what you need rather than selling you something that you don't.

I should buy something from Russel just from for the honest talk, I like that very much.

Excellent tracking and update! Just what I hoped to find! Up & running - and I rather doubt the difference in the quality of the Taiwan lenses will be something the human eye can detect anyway. I think those Japanese one's were something insane like 1/50th wave! :D But once you get used to something, it's hard to part with it.

Thanks for the tracking!

Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Excellent tracking and update! Just what I hoped to find! Up & running - and I rather doubt the difference in the quality of the Taiwan lenses will be something the human eye can detect anyway. I think those Japanese one's were something insane like 1/50th wave! :D But once you get used to something, it's hard to part with it.

Thanks for the tracking!

Dave

No problem, thanks to you, now I know a new place to order great original things made in America but with a descent price. 

It's still incredible to get this kind of quality just because you can get it, in a world where quality is reduced to minimum all the time, and with the involvement of china, it was unique!

I have a project of getting a 24mm and a 12mm in the 1.25" barrel but these 2 FL are unavailable at Russel's. I was exited at the idea of getting especially a 12mm EP made out of research grade Japanese lens with a larger FOV then an Orthoscopic. :icon_biggrin: it would have been very pleasing for approximately 150CAD total. 

Wow Siebert, you can have you eyepiece shell made out of brass, that makes a very nice looking piece. However, I didn't find the AFOV specification for the Monocentric ID series, they must be there somewhere.

In brass, wow!

s8Mn9Dg.jpg?1

That would engender feelings of being William Herschel peering into "The Leviathan" hunting a strange, green 'star.....'

Sounds like fun! Good find,

Dave

40_foot_telescope_120_cm_48_inch_reflecting_telescope_William_Herschel.png.d8474b3db272f0ffc1138b8ff414bb4c.png

• Like 1