Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

NGC7000 Mono & BW
(North America nebula) in Hydrogen alpha is covering an area of more than four times the size of the full moon.
Very bad conditions during shooting, tremendous mist came after 1 hour so instead of 2 hrs it's just one.
Scope: Skywatcher EVOSTAR 80ED DS-Pro
Mount: HEQ5Pro
Camera: QHY168C
Filter Baader 7μm H-alpha
Guiding camera: ZWO ASI120MC
Guiding scope: Finderscope 9x50
12x300s exposure at -10°C (60 min total)
binning 1x1
10xdarks
10xbias
20xflats

NGC7000 SDmask developed 2sml.jpg

NGC7000 SDmask developed 2bwsml.jpg

• Like 7

mono for me, looks more natural 

Edited by Daniel-K
  • Like 1

Mono is always more dramatic however I like them both. The QHY163 cameras as simply stunning for what they can do with them, aren't they?

2 hours ago, UKJay1971 said:

Mono is always more dramatic however I like them both. The QHY163 cameras as simply stunning for what they can do with them, aren't they?

I think he states that its a QHY168c not the QHY163m. SO actually this is taken with a OSC camera similar to the ASI071 not the mono 163 which is similar to the ASI1600mmc. Basically it may be an OSC but it has much larger pixels than the 163m so in the images I have seen it does a cracking job at both H-a and OIII not seen anyone try SII though.

• Like 1

Where did you put the Ha filter in your imaging train? And did you use a filed flattener. I am just getting started with a similar rig (Equinox 80 Pro), and interested how you have set it up for Ha.

Stunning both versions look good. 

Edited by tooth_dr

On 10/16/2017 at 20:09, old_eyes said:

Where did you put the Ha filter in your imaging train? And did you use a filed flattener. I am just getting started with a similar rig (Equinox 80 Pro), and interested how you have set it up for Ha.

My filter is screwed into the camera, just before the AR/AR glass on the adaptor. My optical train is: Evostar/35mm distance M48/flattener/camera adapter/filter+filter adapter/camera.

I hope I didn't messed it up..;)))

On 10/16/2017 at 20:32, tooth_dr said:

Stunning both versions look good. 

Thanks. I really like Ha from color cameras.. ;)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AstroRuz
      As new condition ultra narrowband 1.25" Baader filter. 3.5nm bandpass for nice small stars.
      Bought and loved it, but planning on going from mono back to OSC so won't have a use for this narrow a bandpass.

£130

• By tooth_dr
      I scrapped all the Oiii and Sii data I previously took during a full moon (about 15 hours worth) and retook it all when the moon was a bit smaller at 76%.  Ha was taken during 98% and 67% moon.  All the lights were taken on the following nights: 12th, 19th and 20th September 2019.
      Integration times, all in 600s subs unbinned:
      Ha = 28.33 hours
      Oiii= = 5.67 hours
      Sii = 5.67 hours

The Ha data is really nice, and unsurprisingly the Oiii and Sii is not as strong (or nice).
      I'm missing that (vital) step in my processing routine of getting the Sii and Oiii properly stretched to match the Ha, before combining.  I dont really know how to deal with the weaker data properly.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
      What I do currently:
      All the data is loaded into APP into separate channels/sessions.
      The data is stacked and registered against the best Ha sub
      This produces individual stacks of Ha, Sii and Oiii that are all registered
      Each channel is processed with DPP in APP and then saved as a 16bit TIFF
      Each is opened in PS
      Stars removed with AA and any remnants removed and tidied up
      I then open a blank RGB document in PS
      I paste Ha into Green, Sii into Red and Oiii into Blue
      Adjust the selective colour settings to get 'Hubble palette'
      Adjust levels, curves, saturation until looks ok
      All the Ha Sii Oiii data is then combined together in a single 'super' stack in APP using quality weighted algorithm to create a 'luminance'
      That luminance layer is adjusted using levels, curves, and NC tools such as local contrast enhancement and deep space noise reduction (using masks to apply as required)
      The luminance is pasted onto the above colour layer, and incrementally added using gaussian blur
      Cropped and saved.

Here it is anyway   I haven't intended on any more exposure time for this one, but will consider it, if the expert opinion dictates otherwise!

CS
      Adam

• By The-MathMog
      So, I am going to take my first steps into observing and hopefully imaging the sun, and get myself a filter for the telescope, just so that I have something to do, when I am working nightshifts, or the weather is bad at night. From what I can see, all I would need is a filter like this one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html. Is that so, or is there anything else that you would highly recommend that I get, and why? My telescope is a Skywatcher 150PDS on a Celestron AVX mount.
      On the same time, I am looking at buying a baader hydrogen alpha 3mm filter for imaging. Is this also something I could use for observing, or it is solely for imaging? Just curious.

Any comments, tips, advice would be very much appreciated, as I would rather not damage either my eyes, or more importantly my equipment! (jk)

• By tooth_dr
      Hi again!

Last time I imaged IC5070 for approx 3 hours, then as Orion rose up I decide to use up the last of the clear skies imaging B33/NGC2024.
      15 x 600s at ISO1600 with Canon 1000d, ED80 FFx0.85, darks and bias.

Looking any advise on detail etc, how does guiding look, focus, etc.  I'd like to try to progress so feedback welcome.  It is still noisy, so definitely need more subs.  I've also lost the plot somewhere with it somewhere during processing as there is artefacts all over the show!

Thanks in advance
      Adam.

• By AlastairW
      Melotte 15

Skwatcher 130pds
      ASI1600mm-c (-15)
      7nm Baader Ha

10x5min lights
      No darks, flats or bias

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.