Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing, South Downs hints

NGC007

17 hours ago, PeterW said:

Bignor, went there recently with the Walton group, mag 21.3, nice and dark. There are other sites further west if you avoid the main population centres.

PeterW

Many thanks Peter. Is that near the Roman Villa?

Clem

36 minutes ago, NGC007 said:

I'll be on my own so it would be great to have an exact spot till I get to know the place Peter.

Clem

I can pm it to you Clem.

You are welcome to join us too next time we head down there.

My parents live in Wokingham, in there most weeks :) 

• 2 years later...
On 02/09/2017 at 21:25, Stu said:

I can pm it to you Clem.

You are welcome to join us too next time we head down there.

My parents live in Wokingham, in there most weeks :) 

Wokingham light pollution so bad now it's not even worth trying to observe.  3,000 plus new houses just for starters.  Really appreciate it if you could PM me the location of that site.  After this lockdown ends I will have to travel to observe from now on.

Clem

1 hour ago, NGC007 said:

Wokingham light pollution so bad now it's not even worth trying to observe.  3,000 plus new houses just for starters.  Really appreciate it if you could PM me the location of that site.  After this lockdown ends I will have to travel to observe from now on.

Clem

Gosh where did that time go to? Can’t believe it was 2017! Sorry for the slight delay!!! Will send you a pm tomorrow.

Stu

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Gosh where did that time go to? Can’t believe it was 2017! Sorry for the slight delay!!! Will send you a pm tomorrow.

Stu

Looking forward, many thanks. Let you know how I get on and maybe others could join in future. 

48 minutes ago, NGC007 said:

Looking forward, many thanks. Let you know how I get on and maybe others could join in future. 

Good stuff. We have trips in the diary but most are cancelled due to cloud :(

44 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Its now “closed season” (clocks changed), so time to fettle the Astro kit ready for the Milky Way late summer...

Peter

Tweaking the goto on my big Dob, replacing the Sky Commander with Nexus DSC.  Its  way more flexible And the SSD slot let’s you easily create your own custom lists.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NGC007 said:

Tweaking the goto on my big Dob, replacing the Sky Commander with Nexus DSC.  Its  way more flexible And the SSD slot let’s you easily create your own custom lists.

Nexus DSC is an excellent system, I really enjoy using it. Which dob do you have?

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Nexus DSC is an excellent system, I really enjoy using it. Which dob do you have?

The SkyVision 20” f/3.3 GoTo. I’m only 5’ 7” yet I don’t need a ladder. 😀😀

511419E1-8ECE-457A-B5CA-691DFE55ABF8.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Very nice! I think @GavStar has the 16” version?

Thanks Stu. I added the row of buttons along the bottom to control it easier in the dark. I think the first thing every Dod owner does is modify it!  

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

F3.3, needs testing with a night vision eyepiece?! You’ll give @Stu aperture fever again... take us ages to get him over it 😉😉. Lovely looking scope, how portable is it?

Peter

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

F3.3, needs testing with a night vision eyepiece?! You’ll give @Stu aperture fever again... take us ages to get him over it 😉😉. Lovely looking scope, how portable is it?

Peter

Hi Peter, it very portable indeed. It takes a couple of minutes to remove the cage and truss poles and wheel the rest into the back of the car. Bought a pair of lightweight folding ramps to use with the SUV.