Narrowband

A summer report

eli71

It's has been a long time since I could have almost 2 months of fairly good skies, in comparison with what I usually have. I live in a quite big and light polluted city(Valencia)

Normally I am limited at the south sky , but this summer I could discover the wonders of Sagitary, even with a slow(f12) Mak127 as mine.

Okey I agree there's lots of things I couldn't see. But there were a few ones I could enjoy (M11,M22...) and others that I enjoyed, although I know I have had only a little glimpse of what you can see.(M17, M8...), and made me think of buying a UHC filter even for my little MAK.

That's what I like of this hobby, I know that can always get better, always there is space for improvement.

For me is a slow journey,since living in a big city and not having lots of opportunities of going outside this ball of light pollution. But if I look back to my experiences I can remember my first little steps, my first views of Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Albireo, M42... even little upgrades as a 10 mm Baader ocular, or an old second-hand neximage, was something to relish.

This summer has been , we could say, a second revival. A new camera (ASI12OMC-S),that even, I could use only a few days with Saturn and the Moon ,and not in the best conditions, was again a moment of enjoyment and wonder.

A new barlow(2X,1,5X), and new 15mm GSO ocular and a quite good sky and I enjoy for the first time M13 and M57. It could be say I have internalize some mantras I could read all the time, averted vision, give time your eye to get use to the object. And I really got hooked with M11. Every night I return to this object, and some of them was just amazing.

I have also enjoyed, well we enjoyed(my wife and I), the Perseids, even with the Moon. What a difference a good sky and a relaxed place to watch make!.

A tripod and camera, just make my day (or night). I have also nights of only binoculars and Sagitarius and the Milky Way, and it got me thinking, who needs more?

But dreaming, it's free and I enjoyed just thinking how could it be with a darker and futher south sky (La Palma for instance) with Sagitarius a bit higher. Who knows maybe one day.

My summer is finished and I know  my enthusiasm will probably decline with time and getting back to the routine.

But I know for sure, that I will be back again. Who has enjoyed the beauty and peace that emanates from watching the sky won't get away never ever from it.

Nice report. 

Ive just got a mak 127 and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. I know it's not meant for DSO but my curiosity makes me want to see what I can get out of the mak. 

Something I love about this hobby - you can go away and not do anything on it for months and months... Then when you get the chance to look through the scope again, the excitement returns :smile:

Archived