Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M27 The Dumbbell Nebula in bi-colour

steppenwolf

Messier 27 - The Dumbbell Nebula

M27 is a classic and very popular planetary nebula in the constellation of Vulpecula. Through the eyepiece of a small telescope, M27 takes on the appearance of a ‘dumbbell’ or ‘apple core’ giving it its common name but photographically, the nebula takes on a very different shape, an ellipse at right angles to the more prominent core. A DSLR camera will easily capture this additional detail and deep exposures using a CCD camera will start to show the faint halo surrounding the main nebula. Narrowband images allow a wide range of false colour interpretations to be explored and this is what I am showing here.

Discovered in 1764, the true nature of the object was yet to be determined with the misnomer of ‘planetary’ being ascribed to William Herschel in whose telescope the objects appeared similar to planets because of their generally circular shape. This type of nebula lasts for a few tens of thousands of years which makes them a short-lived phenomenon in cosmic terms. Towards the end of a star’s life, the ‘Red Giant’ phase, the star’s outer layers are pushed outwards by powerful stellar winds. Once the majority of the star’s atmosphere has been lost, the hot luminous core emits ultra-violet radiation which ionizes the star’s outer layers previously dispelled, causing them to glow. Rich in Hydrogen Alpha (Ha) and doubly ionised Oxygen (OIII) and to a lesser but sometimes still significant amount, singly ionised Sulphur (SII), singly ionised Nitrogen (NII) and Hydrogen Beta (HB), these nebula respond very well to narrowband filtering.

This image was captured in just Ha and OIII with the Ha being mapped to the red channel and the OIII being mapped to both the green and blue channels. Mapped in this manner, red and blue colours similar to those produced by broadband imaging can be achieved but with the additional fine detail and contrast that narrowband imaging can produce. The Ha data was collected during Moonlight conditions and the OIII just after the Moon had set. I need more data to complete this one but I was especially pleased to see the halo in this preliminary version.

Image Stats

Mount: Mesu 200
Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150 ED Pro
CCD Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
Sampling: 1.04”/pixel
Guiding: OAG/LodeStar
Filters: Astrodon 3nm Ha and 3nm OIII
Exposure: 23 x 1800 sec Ha, 13 x 1800 sec OIII
Date: 24/07/17 - 28/08/17 – much of which was under Lunar illumination
Calibration: Bias, Darks & Flats

Object Stats

RA: 19° 59’ 36.0”
Dec: 22° 45’ 57.0”
Magnitude: +7.3
Distance: 1360 light years

The Individual Ha and OIII Data

Ha_OIII_Comparison.png.e44a7983aafcbcd12d324add1412a879.png

The Ha/OIII Image

M27_HOO.thumb.png.f94ef9ce81cc87d1ccaec4d3617cc675.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/08/2017 at 23:31, gnomus said:

That shell around the nebula with the alternating blue and red colours is especially nice.  

I'm wondering how deep I will need to go to get halo data on the left side to complete the circle! It must be very faint indeed.

6 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

I'm wondering how deep I will need to go to get halo data on the left side to complete the circle! It must be very faint indeed.

awesome Dumbbell Steve . you already have a bit showing on the left :thumbright:

5 hours ago, swag72 said:

This is a real beaut Steve ?

Thanks, Sara, filters and optics in harmony! :icon_biggrin:

3 hours ago, johnrt said:

Great stuff Steve, this isn't as easy as you've made it look here!

Thanks John, I'm pleased you have enjoyed it.

The forecast clear sky last night didn't happen for me so I spent some time working on the outer halo using the original data. I was puzzled by the OIII portion not showing particularly well in the top left portion of the finished composite even though there was clearly some data in the raw image. This was more an experiment than a route to the finished image but it was interesting just how much more of the halo has been released. Nothing has been 'added' to this image, what you see is additional detail released from the original data but I have thrown a whole load of layering tricks at it.

BUT, is it an improvement or just an example of over-processing to extreme?

freak-out-version.thumb.png.e3af190a4f53451a4fbe882fe87465d1.png

Hello, Steve! I really liked a lot the mono images and I felt that the combination didn't show the outer halo enough. On the last image, I'd say it's an improvement, though I wouldn't push the Ha that much. But that's only my preference.

Clear skies!

59 minutes ago, moise212 said:

On the last image, I'd say it's an improvement, though I wouldn't push the Ha that much. But that's only my preference.

Neither would I normally push it that hard either - I prefer the raw data to speak for me!

44 minutes ago, gorann said:

I love them all four! Why not try a 50:50 blend of the two bi-colour versions? (or use layer masks and the brush tool and use the best parts out of each version)

In essence, that is what I have done here but to get the halo to show this strongly required a more red/green palette.

39 minutes ago, gnomus said:

There is clearly more detail in the latest version.  I would prefer V2 with the colours of V1....  Sorry!

Yup, I much prefer the colours in V1 too (which, of course is why I posted it in that colour in the first place) but it was interesting that the halo remained much more subtle in that one.

26 minutes ago, gnomus said:

There is clearly more detail in the latest version.  I would prefer V2 with the colours of V1....  Sorry!

Agree, I was looking at a few M27's yesterday and so much red & blue in a lot of them. I like these a lot, supple colours in both. More data may help as you are suggesting, I hope we shall see, are the 3nm filters limiting anything ? just a thought  :icon_redface:

freak-out-version love it.

1 hour ago, Mick J said:

are the 3nm filters limiting anything ? just a thought  :icon_redface:

They will be cutting NII from the planetary core for certain but perhaps not from the halo.

1 hour ago, Mick J said:

freak-out-version love it

Well spotted!

Archived