SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 4

mapstar

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only I could go to Nigeria (,Lagos) on a business trip, knowing my hotel has a sea view pointing directly south over the Atlantic and pack my 70mm frac, bins and camera for some epic views of the centre of our galaxy.........only to find it's the "cloudy season" here. 

Honestly,it's like frikkin Manchester!!!!!! Wall to wall cloud

Ran an overnight unattended session using SGPro to see how it would do. Turn out, it did ok! 5.5 hours on NGC 281, Pacman Nebula, on 3 narrowband filters, using autofocus.

42x150 sec Ha
45x150 sec O3
45x150 sec S2

SHO palette, processed in Pixinsight. Imaged on a Skywatcher 130pds, mounted on Skywatcher EQ6-pro on a QHY163m cooled @-15c over the light polluted skies of Wakkie :)

36599185800_855c404236_k.jpg

NGC 281 Pacman Nebula by Jay Bolt, on Flickr

7 hours ago, Mark62 said:

Lovely image Jay. The SGPro worked well by the looks. 

Yes - it has taken some time (and money) to get it where I am happy. It's not foolproof and sometimes it fails to run a meridian flip successfully but I'm reasonably happy to let it run now, especially during the week when I can't be up late

Ok so a little challenge if anyone is even thinking of planning on heading out tonight to try and get a glimpse of the aurora that's meant to be happening, if you do manage any photos of it John Mitchell (weather guy at my work) has said he will put them up on the next weather report he does so if you get any make sure you put them up and I'll get them to him :-)

On 04/09/2017 at 20:10, UKJay1971 said:

Ran an overnight unattended session using SGPro to see how it would do. Turn out, it did ok! 5.5 hours on NGC 281, Pacman Nebula, on 3 narrowband filters, using autofocus.

42x150 sec Ha
45x150 sec O3
45x150 sec S2

SHO palette, processed in Pixinsight. Imaged on a Skywatcher 130pds, mounted on Skywatcher EQ6-pro on a QHY163m cooled @-15c over the light polluted skies of Wakkie :)

36599185800_855c404236_k.jpg

NGC 281 Pacman Nebula by Jay Bolt, on Flickr

Stunning image Jay, just trying to get my head around NB processing, I might need a few tips from you.

Another incredible image Jay. Beautiful.

Well, despite the bright Moon it looked quite nice and clear last night around 11pm so I decided to pop outside with the 8SE to see what I could see. The plan was to bag a few more of the Lunar 100 if other observing proved to be too difficult. Ended up having a really productive couple of hours with Terry doing some much needed purely visual astronomy. Included in our list of targets were M57 The Ring Nebula, M27 The Dumbbell Nebula (on which I used the UHC filter and the difference was clearly apparent with real structure to be seen), Albireo which looked beautiful as always with the contrasting blue and gold, Alcor/Mizar, Epsilon Lyrae (The Double Double) which split beautifully with the 5mm EP and amazed Terry, Vega, M31 The Andromeda Galaxy, M101, The Double Cluster, Aldebaran, M45 The Pleiades, M39, M29, and finally a last 15 minutes on the Moon to enjoy the depth of the shadows and detail along the terminator. Packed up at 1am when my power tank ran out and the Moon was too high and bright to really experience any further productive viewing. I'd promised myself that I'm going to spend more time at the eyepiece this season enjoying the views first hand and last night proved to be a great start. With Kelling Heath star party just over a week away I've got my mojo back to go down there and grab any viewing opportunity the skies allow :)

Archived