Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 4

mapstar

Cracking Crab Nebula Matt!!! Fantastic detail.

Great meal at The Cinnamon Lounge last night with a few good laughs as usual. Thank you everyone for making it such a good night.

I managed to get out reasonably early this morning to capture a beautiful waning gibbous Moon - avert your eyes Damian ;)

The Moon 08.12.2017.jpg

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I missed the curry guys but glad you all had a good day.

Unfortunately I had to have a long night at work but will have to catch up with everyone soon. 

Hopefully get out over the next few weeks 

Hopefully I should be getting better at alignment, I have been chatting on CN with Michael Swanson author Nexstar alignment books etc, smashing guy really helpful and he has inspired me to keep at it  with his advice, I was beginning to get too frustrated and nearly calling it a day with one thing and another, well calling it a day with the Celestron set up not Astronomy !!

Eric

Evening peeps...! All paid up members (that I’m aware of) have had their User Signup email for the Members-Only section of the website sent out this evening - follow the link in the email to set yourself up, then head back to the front page, login, and you should find some new menu options across the top.

Any probs, drop me a pm on here... either we’re waiting for the membership list to be updated from recent payments, or we’ve got an incorrect email address on file for you, or your subscriptions are overdue (in which case talk to @mapstar, THEN talk to me)!

1 hour ago, Marci said:

Evening peeps...! All paid up members (that I’m aware of) have had their User Signup email for the Members-Only section of the website sent out this evening - follow the link in the email to set yourself up, then head back to the front page, login, and you should find some new menu options across the top.

Any probs, drop me a pm on here... either we’re waiting for the membership list to be updated from recent payments, or we’ve got an incorrect email address on file for you, or your subscriptions are overdue (in which case talk to @mapstar, THEN talk to me)!

I've been a bit out of it with keeping up on memberships but I've sent a fair few emails out the other day Marc to all overdue members.

Hopefully things will be updated after last night's curry with members renewing their subscriptions.

I'll update the accounts after speaking to Soupy and Vic 

Great work on the site update and members section. 

On 12/8/2017 at 17:53, 2STAR said:

Hopefully I should be getting better at alignment, I have been chatting on CN with Michael Swanson author Nexstar alignment books etc, smashing guy really helpful and he has inspired me to keep at it  with his advice, I was beginning to get too frustrated and nearly calling it a day with one thing and another, well calling it a day with the Celestron set up not Astronomy !!

Eric

Just to follow on from my earlier note regarding advice from Michael Swanson (author Celestron Nexstar Guide), last night I went out at 22:00 hrs ( after domestic duties ), 

I followed his instructions and within no time at all had excellent alignment and tracking, every object I sent the scope to was near enough central in the eyepiece and then later after putting on the video camera infinity all 3 DSO's I wanted to look at with my restricted view (Top patio) were on the laptop screen with no further slewing necessary.  After a frustrating number of sessions I now have success thanks to some simple fine tuning and star selection.

I can't wait to get out again !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric  

Well I have just messed about in PS 11 ( first effort) with M97 the Owl Nebula from the other clear night we had, quite a lot of LP about, I started late due to not getting home, the image is total of 137 secs with the Atik Infinity & SCT & FR 6.3, although probably about not quite that much reduction , Used a software prog Astronomy Tools for PS 11 elements.

M9734.JPG

41 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Well I have just messed about in PS 11 ( first effort) with M97 the Owl Nebula from the other clear night we had, quite a lot of LP about, I started late due to not getting home, the image is total of 137 secs with the Atik Infinity & SCT & FR 6.3, although probably about not quite that much reduction , 

M9734.JPG

Super job Eric. Glad you got out. You were misssd on Monday 

13 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

Super job Eric. Glad you got out. You were misssd on Monday 

Wish I could have been there Mark, had to babysit for  few hours till 10pm, set up before I went so managed to get straight on with things.

eric

7 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Well I have just messed about in PS 11 ( first effort) with M97 the Owl Nebula from the other clear night we had, quite a lot of LP about, I started late due to not getting home, the image is total of 137 secs with the Atik Infinity & SCT & FR 6.3, although probably about not quite that much reduction , Used a software prog Astronomy Tools for PS 11 elements.

M9734.JPG

Another nice image Eric. Yeah you were missed on Monday night. We had a good night, got some clear skies and made all the better by Adam treating us to mulled wine and mince pies, certainly helped keep the frost at bay ?

2 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Anyone venturing out tonight, doesn't look too bad forecast, if you are, give me a shout please.

eric

Hi Eric, I’ll not get out tonight probably just going to do a bit at home later. Hope you get out.

I've had a great week up in Swaledale, its been clear pretty much every night (very cold though!)

It's been great for Geminids, I saw quite a few, and I've had a bit of time to practice my skills and setup.. got a good M42, Andromeda Galaxy, Ring Nebula and some nice widefields (in focus now, thanks to Soupy's tutorial!) and some trails. I'm struggling to get any decent length of exposure for the deep sky objects, they always seem to trail after 10 sec or so. Im using a starwatcher alt-az mount and DSLR. I've tried being very careful with my setup and alignment. I guess its just the limitation of a cheap alt-az mount?

20171210_Orion.thumb.JPG.4eeb5b2a38662b6b7f5385561b0f4963.JPG20171210_Crackpot_M42_15secISO3200_n4stacked_stretched.thumb.jpg.fe69baf6a2d3225ff3168f31f836a792.jpg20171209_M31.thumb.jpg.2309112e1869a77f3de074aeef204347.jpg20171215_Crackpot_m57_30sISO6400.thumb.JPG.77a6846a8acba4754c8686e915b43ded.JPG

Im also having some problems stacking using DSS and Registax - more than a small (3-4) number of subs and it seems to struggle aligning them.. not sure what I am doing wrong..

Still, not a bad week's work :)

Hope the Quiz was a success, merry Christmas all!

Nice images Ben and glad you had clear skies up there. Hoping to get that way myself over the coming week.

On another note don't forget S@N is on 11pm BBC4 tonight. The star of bethlehem is the subject. 

1 minute ago, mapstar said:

Nice images Ben and glad you had clear skies up there. Hoping to get that way myself over the coming week.

Where are you off to?

Just realised yesterday that I had not air/dried my tent out from the UUGSP ?

31 minutes ago, mapstar said:

On another note don't forget S@N is on 11pm BBC4 tonight. The star of bethlehem is the subject. 

Is this a repeat Damian? I’m sure they showed it last year 

Archived