SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 4

mapstar

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good read that, Damian. Sounds like a great trip, and love the auroua pic!

I was busy myself over the weekend, I was at my parent's in deepest darkest linclonshire last night. The forecast was good, so me and my Dad set up in anticipation whilst tea was cooking.. Got everything set up, a quick look at the moon and then went in to eat. When we came back out there was some cloud cover and not many big gaps. We decided to go to bed early and set the alarm for early morning, and so it was i got up at 3.30 am and went outside to some great clear skies.

I started off imaging, trying to get some subs for m42. unfortunatley there was a fairly strong gusty breeze playing havoc with my mount, so i was struggling to get anything over 5 sec that wasnt wobbly. Below is the end result, after some faffing about with registax today. Ive got some way to go to match Adams image :)

M42_Processed2.thumb.jpg.e7571f3f731a38f2be4cf48a56ee0a9f.jpg

After Orion disappeared behind  a tree, I had a little tour round the sky with my bins, taking in the double cluster, the open clusters of Auriga and Gemini, the Beehive, and found myself in Leo looking for the galaxies there, with my scope i located M65,66 and I think 95/96 too, although i wasnt 100% - they certianly didnt look as good as what Eric's captured above! I decided at this point to head inside to warm up and get some coffee, and was treated to a very bright blue-green meteor going right over the house, leaving a trail. When i came back out, it was starting to get light and the night belonged to Mars and Jupiter, so we turned my Dads 6 inch newtonian on them, Mars wasnt giving much detail away, apart from its red colour, and Jupiter was too low to make out much detail but all four moons were on display. The eastern horizon was looking very nice, so i captured some widefields of mars, jupiter and eventually Venus just before dawn (venus below)

20171115_VenusRising.thumb.JPG.4b95deadbf201ce740784a8b098264f9.JPG

The RSPB event went down well with a good turn out of both Public & WADAS members, cloudy but a couple of brief clearish spells proved their worth in particular with Soupy's 12" DOB managing to show the public a decent view of the Andromeda Galaxy, indoors Matt's introductory talk was excellent followed by Soupy who kept  everyone interested with his in depth knowledge of general Astronomy and easy to understand method of explaining things.

Eric    

Tonight I am setting up on the top patio, and when aligned , focused etc, will be sat in the warm dining room with the laptop searching the Northern skies for anything that crops up on my list. That is if I get back from Leeds in time anyway.

Eric

1 hour ago, 2STAR said:

Tonight I am setting up on the top patio, and when aligned , focused etc, will be sat in the warm dining room with the laptop searching the Northern skies for anything that crops up on my list. That is if I get back from Leeds in time anyway.

Eric

Typical that it's crystal clear and the DLB is into second quarter :hmh:

Managed to catch some sky last Saturday night. In particular, I was delighted to get my first glimpse on the Horsehead and Flame nebulae. The composition isn't brilliant but I will have time to return to these targets and compose a better image. Pretty pleased for just over an hour on a modded Canon 100D and ED80 scope. My QHY is back in China for repair so I'm back on DSLR for the forseeable future :(

24780531498_63f92f9cc8_k.jpgHorsehead Nebula by Jay Bolt, on Flickr

5 hours ago, UKJay1971 said:

Managed to catch some sky last Saturday night. In particular, I was delighted to get my first glimpse on the Horsehead and Flame nebulae. The composition isn't brilliant but I will have time to return to these targets and compose a better image. Pretty pleased for just over an hour on a modded Canon 100D and ED80 scope. My QHY is back in China for repair so I'm back on DSLR for the forseeable future :(

24780531498_63f92f9cc8_k.jpgHorsehead Nebula by Jay Bolt, on Flickr

You managed to keep Alnitak under control Jay ha ha , nice image all round

Nice image Jay. Really need to get outside and get set up imaging on the next clear night, but life has had other ideas this last couple of weeks. Need to image Orion away from home though as I am unable to image it from my house with it being to the South East.

Heads up, BBC4 9.00pm - Storyville - The Farthest: Voyager's Interstellar Journey. Not seen it, but it comes recommended. I have set it to record :) 

Not been on here for a while, but just wanted to echo Eric's comments about the RSPB outreach event. It was a fun evening and pretty much everyone enjoyed it - I'm still waiting to see the collated results from the event feedback forms. Should be opportunity to do more events and we did think about tying one in to an upcoming meteor shower; allowing people to spot those plus offering views of other stuff through the scopes.

Many, many thanks to all that came along and made it a success.

Some lovely images coming through as well, keep up the good work everyone. Here's my contribution from last night, only managed just under an hour before the clouds rolled in, which was frustrating since it was guiding nice and there wasn't any dew.

M1 Crab Nebula, 5x10mins Ha subs using my Quattro 200CF & Atik 314L+

M1_Crab_Nebula.jpg

Been a good week for extended sessions - ran an 8 hour session on Wednesday night / Thursday morning on the Heart Nebula. 120 subs at 240secs each on a DSLR - sub pixel guiding and a perfect unattended meridian flip too! I have an issue with egg shaped stars near the outskirts - the problem is my 0.8x field flattener needs 51mm distance to the pixel but my 100D already takes 44mm from the sensor to the lens flange and my T Adapter is 10mm so it's over by 3mm. I think I have a narrower T Adapter somewhere but I won't get it down to 51mm.

38034667554_a3ff2374fb_k.jpgHeart Nebula by Jay Bolt, on Flickr

9 hours ago, MattGoo said:

Some lovely images coming through as well, keep up the good work everyone. Here's my contribution from last night, only managed just under an hour before the clouds rolled in, which was frustrating since it was guiding nice and there wasn't any dew.

M1 Crab Nebula, 5x10mins Ha subs using my Quattro 200CF & Atik 314L+

M1_Crab_Nebula.jpg

Lovely detail there - well done :)

Archived