Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 4

mapstar

On 11/13/2017 at 00:18, rich6626 said:

Good to hear people got out tonight. Had a decent hour and half out in the garden, managed to track down Uranus and a few other sights. Happy days :happy7:

I  definitely had Uranus in the eyepiece put the camera on  and this appeared on the laptop screen, ( well I think it is ? it looks pretty big but i am sure it is not a star !! as the scope was finding everything spot on that I sent it to, ) not very good but took a snapshot, taken with the evo 9.25 and atik infinity . IT IS NOT URANUS, JUST BEEN THROUGH REPLAY DATA ITS CAPELLA

eric

uranusdd.jpg

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noisy Screenshot from last night, swopped mounts and scope took this with the Skywatcher ST at f5 so pleased I managed to get them both in,  must start learning how to process haha ( not bad as the refractor is neither doublet or triplet hence the star halo's)

HORSEHEADXNNFF.JPG

running manxxc.jpg

13 hours ago, 2STAR said:

I  definitely had Uranus in the eyepiece put the camera on  and this appeared on the laptop screen, ( well I think it is ? it looks pretty big but i am sure it is not a star !! as the scope was finding everything spot on that I sent it to, ) not very good but took a snapshot, taken with the evo 9.25 and atik infinity . 

eric

URANUSXXXX.JPG

Sounds easier than my experience. I thought I'd found it through the finder quite easily with a quick star hop. However I then decided it didn't look planet like enough - not sure what I was expecting, it didn't look very planety in kielder either. I then proceeded to star hop to it twice via different routes. This turned into 20mins of checking and double checking Stellerium on my upside phone (I don't have a raci so this makes it easier) I then  pushed the mag to check I got a disk (it seemed very wibbly last night which made it difficult to decide if i was focussed when on the higher mags). Once I'd done this I spent several minutes wiggling the telescope as it seemed help bring out the colour (anyone else found this? I noticed it whilst nudging the scope around) I then set about comparing it's apparent size and brightness to a nearby star of a very similar magnitude. At this point I decided I had indeed found Uranus. Took me about 40mins - sober believe it or not. 

9 hours ago, rich6626 said:

Sounds easier than my experience. I thought I'd found it through the finder quite easily with a quick star hop. However I then decided it didn't look planet like enough - not sure what I was expecting, it didn't look very planety in kielder either. I then proceeded to star hop to it twice via different routes. This turned into 20mins of checking and double checking Stellerium on my upside phone (I don't have a raci so this makes it easier) I then  pushed the mag to check I got a disk (it seemed very wibbly last night which made it difficult to decide if i was focussed when on the higher mags). Once I'd done this I spent several minutes wiggling the telescope as it seemed help bring out the colour (anyone else found this? I noticed it whilst nudging the scope around) I then set about comparing it's apparent size and brightness to a nearby star of a very similar magnitude. At this point I decided I had indeed found Uranus. Took me about 40mins - sober believe it or not. 

I had the planet in the eyepiece straight away and could easily make out a pale blue, so i knew it was definitely Uranus, totally different from surrounding stars, for once my evo mount was behaving itself, I later went back  to the planet with my Skywatcher mount and 102mm refractor and although tiny in the eyepiece, it was there.

eric

Cracking work Eric. I was going to comment that it was too large to be Uranus, but you beat me to it and edited that it was Capella. Loving your flame, horsehead and running man nebula images. 

Great capture of the Venus and Jupiter conjunction Ben. I'd completely forgotten about it until Terry texted me at 7am to ask what the bright "stars" were. Managed to dash out with the DSLR and grab a couple of quick images before they were lost to the dawn. It was a beautiful sight and a gorgeous sunrise :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 11/14/2017 at 16:32, Mark62 said:

Lovely images everyone glad you got out on Sunday. I did see the conjecture of Jupiter and Veinus but did not Photography it as I had other plans that morning.

Forecast good so far for tonight, BBC & ACCU weather 

I've just got home from work and the sky is looking great. Checked the forecast and it is looking good my way. Don't think I'll travel out tonight, however I'm thinking of getting set up in the back garden to have a play. Is anyone planning a trip out or a back garden session tonight?

Hope you all had more success than I did last night. Managed to get out for 9.30, spent an age trying to star hop to Perseus A galaxy from Algol before realising I had wrong star in the finder. Then when I actually found myself in the right area thick cloud rolled in.

Managed a last ditch attempt at M42 before that also disappeared. All in all 1 observation over the best part of an hour!

Lee

Last night clear at Winscar no clouds good viewing conditions, arrived about 8pm, Mark & Adam already there.

Firstly, the mount decided to play haywire, not connected message, but it was, fixed it. aligned with Altair and Capella, test to Polaris, spot on, great, NO, mount shut down again, no connection, but there was, fiddled about, aligned again. all ok, sent to Castor, spot on tracking ok for 5 mins so off i go NO, the finder scope decided to drop off, fixed it and checked, still  tracking Castor, attached camera etc, turned on software, no camera recognised !!!, unplugged, turned off laptop, refit connectios, still no camera recognized, then realise, WIN 10 had been updated that afternoon, it had failed to recognise the drivers  for my camera, I tried loading an old disk for the camera, but no luck, faffed about for near to an hour but no success, decided to pack in about 9-45, went home, uninstalled software, downloaded again from Atik , went outside set up, everything working and spot on, within 10 mins of being outside, CLOUDS, packed up, had a cup of Tea and got some tissues out in case i started crying ha ha , roll on next clear night !!!.

Eric 

ps Just after Penistone Major road closure diverted , had to follow Sat Nav to M1, took an extra 10-15 mins to get home hahaha

44 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Last night clear at Winscar no clouds good viewing conditions, arrived about 8pm, Mark & Adam already there.

Firstly, the mount decided to play haywire, not connected message, but it was, fixed it. aligned with Altair and Capella, test to Polaris, spot on, great, NO, mount shut down again, no connection, but there was, fiddled about, aligned again. all ok, sent to Castor, spot on tracking ok for 5 mins so off i go NO, the finder scope decided to drop off, fixed it and checked, still  tracking Castor, attached camera etc, turned on software, no camera recognised !!!, unplugged, turned off laptop, refit connectios, still no camera recognized, then realise, WIN 10 had been updated that afternoon, it had failed to recognise the drivers  for my camera, I tried loading an old disk for the camera, but no luck, faffed about for near to an hour but no success, decided to pack in about 9-45, went home, uninstalled software, downloaded again from Atik , went outside set up, everything working and spot on, within 10 mins of being outside, CLOUDS, packed up, had a cup of Tea and got some tissues out in case i started crying ha ha , roll on next clear night !!!.

Eric 

ps Just after Penistone Major road closure diverted , had to follow Sat Nav to M1, took an extra 10-15 mins to get home hahaha

To be honest Eric we were not long after you as we were totally clouded out and we were on are way home by 11:00pm to find clear ish sky’s at home about midnight.

As for the road closure, it’s no good telling us now lol. I went the other way and dropped down in to Denby Dale. We both might have better luck next time ? ???

I would recomend, if you have a laptop used for Astronomy, that turning windows automatic updates off would be a good idea, causes too many issues. Also stops those momments when you get out into the field and the laptop needs to install updates that its downloaded the previous day.

You can always run updates manually every so often if you wanted to as and when

Archived