Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 4

mapstar

10 minutes ago, Dec said:

Haha cheers Ben, don't think I'll be starting a career in stand up comedy anytime soon. Here's a few widefield images taken on Saturday night. I've stacked them and stretched in pixinsight.

Kielder Milky Way Oct 17.jpg

Pleiades.jpg

Really like the first one

were you all camping or using the lofts

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gtis said:

Thanks Neil. Most stayed in the house. I stayed in a camper. Was a great trip, didn't look like the cloud was going to lift but we ended up with a reasonably clear sky on Saturday night.

19 hours ago, gtis said:

The sky was not looking very promising early on so most of us didn't really set up fully, however , it did clear in good spells and gave a taste of what a good dark sky can present, the highlight for me was the sight of M45 the Pleiades suddenly appearing above the Treeline at Keilder, it looked like a massive bunch of bright blue grapes, and through the Bino's we could see countless Stars shining bright within it, it looked so much bigger and brighter than what we see from our light pollution backyards, unbelievably so.

Worth the the trip even with the A1 North Bound closure and diversion to Northallerton on my way up Saturday morning. 

Plus a bridge closure on the way back with diversion haha, luckily a local guy showed me a short cut missing the diversion route to the A69.

Turned out to be a great weekend with a good mix of beer and telescopes - in that order :happy8:

It was certainly worth the effort and the risk of loosing a wheel/sump on the way up!

Big thanks to Soupy for organising and hosting. Really appreciate it.

Afraid I couldn't make the social tonight but the pub was definitely the best option as they've been muck spreading on he fields yesterday and Overton currently smells like a farm yard. :help:

Rich.

2 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Dec, do you think my new setup is overdoing it a bit ??

20170923_13_49_47_pro.jpg

Haha great Eric, you'd have a bit of crack star aligning that setup. You'd have to change your name to 8star ?

Galloway star party cancelled due to all this wet weather we've had. 

Going to book for the spring party next year.

Report still to write from last night. Motorway closed around leeds wasn't nice on the way home. Diversion through centre of leeds was not to my liking 

On 10/22/2017 at 18:24, mapstar said:

Gonna gamble on the wind dying out tonight but it's coin toss as to what I'm doing. 

Thurs 26th & Friday 27th looking promising so far, Moon should be out of way just before 10pm

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

BBC. Astro Panel and Clear skies say clear from 11pm all night I'm just writing down a observing list concentrating on north and east with the shield up my south is compromised. 

Pack it in the car and venture out Paul. A 20min ride will do wonders for your skies.

I stopped using Astro panel as I found it unreliable. The BBC is a lot more reliable. 

If I venture out ot will be near hime but still a 25min ride away 

I'm going to get out tonight, possibly Winscar or Sutton Bank. Looking like Clear skies from 10pm at Winscar and from 8pm at Sutton Bank. Forecast looks better the further north you go. Anyone fancy it?

3 hours ago, Dec said:

I'm going to get out tonight, possibly Winscar or Sutton Bank. Looking like Clear skies from 10pm at Winscar and from 8pm at Sutton Bank. Forecast looks better the further north you go. Anyone fancy it?

See you there about 8-30pm Dec

3 hours ago, mapstar said:

Pack it in the car and venture out Paul. A 20min ride will do wonders for your skies.

I stopped using Astro panel as I found it unreliable. The BBC is a lot more reliable. 

If I venture out ot will be near hime but still a 25min ride away 

Wish I could but son has got the car for a couple of days so stuck in yard. Saying that I am still trying to find somewhere go close that's dark. 

Archived