Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 4

mapstar

3 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Clearest night for weeks.

And the devils light bulb ruins it :hmh:

Yup, I went out with the scope earlier and it was just pointless trying to view anything - even the moon was too bright to view! Typical when we have been waiting for a clear night for ages.

Just took a quick image through the scope with my DSLR and came back inside.

Harvest Moon 05.10.2017 @ 20.02
Skywatcher Equinox 80 with Altair Lightwave 2 x Flat Field Tele Extender Barlow
Canon 100D
1/400 second exposure at ISO 200

Harvest Moon 05.10.2017.png

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice image Vicky of the cursed object. 

Last night was just like an Autumn/winter night of 10 years ago when the weather just seemed more stable. It would've been an all nighter for me.

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Very nice image Vicky of the cursed object. 

Last night was just like an Autumn/winter night of 10 years ago when the weather just seemed more stable. It would've been an all nighter for me.

I thought exactly the same thing D. Even though I was on a short early shirt at work today, I would have quite happily stayed up all night observing until dawn and then gone into work. I managed an all-nighter at Kelling and it was fantastic! Finishing the night with a last scout around Orion and a view of Venus through the 8SE. I used my "new" visual OIII filter a lot whilst I was there, and the Orion nebula was one of the targets that totally blew me away with the difference through the filter! So much texture - it looked like cotton wool! The veil was another that really wowed me. Yes, it was a pity the pesky moon was full and so bright last night. Clear nights like that don't come along very often.

Lots going on peeps, just a reminder of the star party next weekend, check your emails for final confirmation and to check you have received it. 

Let me know if you are coming please, confirmed coming, are Adam, Ben, Declan, Marc, Rich and myself, with Scott and Vicky B possibles.

catch you all soon

soupy

On 06/10/2017 at 19:20, Bengrant76 said:

I'm pretty sure Damian was taking delivery of a new bit of kit in Leeds this morning... he can hang it in front of the real thing and block out its light :)

IMG_20171006_083039671.jpg

Cheeky blighter 

On a more serious note 

BBC4 

21:00 Horizon oceans of the solar system

22:00 S@N 

22:30 The search for a new earth 

Happy viewing :thumbright:

3 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Cheeky blighter 

On a more serious note 

BBC4 

21:00 Horizon oceans of the solar system

22:00 S@N 

22:30 The search for a new earth 

Happy viewing :thumbright:

Thanks D! I just had a look outside to see what the sky was doing and there are some ominous looking clouds drawing in, so it looks like a nice night in front of the TV is in order. Thanks for the heads up :)

Fantastic image Jay. Love the detail.

Heres an LRGB image of NGC861 taken about a week and a half ago. Left my kit running to about 4am so managed about 5.5hrs of data, albeit in light polluted Lofthouse. Quite happy with the galaxy but couldn't quite tone down the stars enough when processing.

I've since attempted a rowan belt modification to my NEQ6. It went ok but tested it a few days ago and the guiding is all over the place. Hopefully will have it tuned and operational by the weekend otherwise it will be 10sec unguided subs :crybaby2:

NGC 861.jpg

6 hours ago, Dec said:

Fantastic image Jay. Love the detail.

Heres an LRGB image of NGC861 taken about a week and a half ago. Left my kit running to about 4am so managed about 5.5hrs of data, albeit in light polluted Lofthouse. Quite happy with the galaxy but couldn't quite tone down the stars enough when processing.

I've since attempted a rowan belt modification to my NEQ6. It went ok but tested it a few days ago and the guiding is all over the place. Hopefully will have it tuned and operational by the weekend otherwise it will be 10sec unguided subs :crybaby2:

NGC 861.jpg

Lovely galaxy one of my favourites.

Typo though it's NGC891 in Andromeda you'll not trick us that easily :thumbright:.

8 hours ago, mapstar said:

Lovely galaxy one of my favourites.

Typo though it's NGC891 in Andromeda you'll not trick us that easily :thumbright:.

Cheers Damian, well spotted served me right for posting on SGL when I should be working ?

Forecast looks promising next week

On 10/7/2017 at 14:02, Soupy said:

Lots going on peeps, just a reminder of the star party next weekend, check your emails for final confirmation and to check you have received it. 

Let me know if you are coming please, confirmed coming, are Adam, Ben, Declan, Marc, Rich and myself, with Scott and Vicky B possibles.

catch you all soon

soupy

Can't make Friday, so see you all on Saturday PM, I am meeting up with Paul at 1200hrs Rose & Crown, Bellingham 

Eric

On 12/10/2017 at 07:31, Dec said:

Cheers Damian, well spotted served me right for posting on SGL when I should be working ?

Forecast looks promising next week

On 12/10/2017 at 11:46, 2STAR said:

Can't make Friday, so see you all on Saturday PM, I am meeting up with Paul at 1200hrs Rose & Crown, Bellingham 

Eric

Hope you both get clear skies at kielder.  Going to try to get out next week. Sunday night is looking good but as usual I'm working :hmh:

A great weekend at Kielder with great company at a fantastic location. We had to wait for clear skies but we were eventually rewarded with some cracking conditions. I ticked off 16 deep sky objects, uranus, a few shooting stars and managed to get some photos too..

A widefield of the summer triangle

IMG_9620.thumb.JPG.1392398c295fcbbbc5f22a082c7b67ff.JPG

Pleiades rising

IMG_9646.thumb.JPG.c3f43f7f597689fc8695743f6d4a2945.JPG

Pleiades close-up

IMG_9692.thumb.JPG.37a5477a82d93aa307fa570bf21ef2a2.JPG

my first ever star trails!

IMG_9700.thumb.JPG.bdb797d15d43fc0d426580a76ede9fca.JPG

thanks to everyone who went for making it such a good weekend.

Lovely Galaxy shot Dec, looking forward to the Kielder wide field shots too.

Was a Great weekend. Nice shots Ben, have you done any processing on them? I feel there might be some detail waiting to pop out with a little tweaking. :wink:

28 minutes ago, Soupy said:

Was a Great weekend. Nice shots Ben, have you done any processing on them? I feel there might be some detail waiting to pop out with a little tweaking. :wink:

I slightly increased the highlights on the summer triangle image to bring out the milky way but didnt touch the others. any suggestions what to try soupy? Cheers

11 hours ago, Bengrant76 said:

A great weekend at Kielder with great company at a fantastic location. We had to wait for clear skies but we were eventually rewarded with some cracking conditions. I ticked off 16 deep sky objects, uranus, a few shooting stars and managed to get some photos too..

A widefield of the summer triangle

IMG_9620.thumb.JPG.1392398c295fcbbbc5f22a082c7b67ff.JPG

Pleiades rising

IMG_9646.thumb.JPG.c3f43f7f597689fc8695743f6d4a2945.JPG

Pleiades close-up

IMG_9692.thumb.JPG.37a5477a82d93aa307fa570bf21ef2a2.JPG

my first ever star trails!

IMG_9700.thumb.JPG.bdb797d15d43fc0d426580a76ede9fca.JPG

thanks to everyone who went for making it such a good weekend.

Great photos Ben. Love the Pleiades shot, it was amazing on Saturday night when it rose above the tree line. Had a great view of it through Eric's binos.

Was a great weekend, really enjoyed the crack with everyone and to get a few hours of stargazing on Saturday night was a real bonus.

2 hours ago, Soupy said:

Thanks Soupy. Haven't managed to process the widefield shots yet but thanks for all your help with focus and the loan of your lens. I stick them on here when I do.

Definitely going to do a bit more widefield as I really enjoyed. Some good tips on using manual mode for image capture.

11 hours ago, Dec said:

Great photos Ben. Love the Pleiades shot, it was amazing on Saturday night when it rose above the tree line. Had a great view of it through Eric's binos.

Was a great weekend, really enjoyed the crack with everyone and to get a few hours of stargazing on Saturday night was a real bonus.

Yes Dec the Pleiades rising over the trees took my breath away. Never seen them as bright or as clear! I also got some good tips from Soupy on focus for my widefields. I look forward to seeing your images, I hope they are as good as your jokes :-)

23 minutes ago, Bengrant76 said:

Yes Dec the Pleiades rising over the trees took my breath away. Never seen them as bright or as clear! I also got some good tips from Soupy on focus for my widefields. I look forward to seeing your images, I hope they are as good as your jokes :-)

Haha cheers Ben, don't think I'll be starting a career in stand up comedy anytime soon. Here's a few widefield images taken on Saturday night. I've stacked them and stretched in pixinsight.

Kielder Milky Way Oct 17.jpg

Pleiades.jpg

Archived