SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher GTi mount

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen that Telescope Service now sell the AZ GTI mount head only. It's something I've been hoping to see as i have a much better tripod than the included one. The only little problem is that the price at Telescope Service is is way more than over here. Will have to see if the mount head finally is sold on it's own over here soon.

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Does the gti have an eq mode? Otherwise it will still track in left right up down.

Does it really need a EQ mode, what if you just tell the mount that you are at one of the poles? When asked for observation position, enter 0 degrees east and  90 degrees north. Or am I thinking wrong here..

?

Tried it with a Berlebach UNI 18 and a pier extension for my Tak FC-100DL (long scope), and finder, diagonal and eyepiece, I was close to 6kg : very stable, as stable as my old EQ5. Tracking was also excellent at high magnification.

So, with a sturdier tripod, it does achieve quite a good load capacity, with no problem.

I have downloaded the app to have a quick play (no mount yet as its unavailable) but have wondered if it could also be used with a DSLR on an L bracket with a camera lens for normal daytime photography i.e. up/down/left/right to frame an image remotely?

Alan

9 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I have downloaded the app to have a quick play (no mount yet as its unavailable) but have wondered if it could also be used with a DSLR on an L bracket with a camera lens for normal daytime photography i.e. up/down/left/right to frame an image remotely?

Alan

Hi Alan, Yes that is how I am using mine, with an L bracket and a P900 - but it would work just fine with a DSLR too.

Two quick demos I made for my brother when I first bought this mount. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Wolfie6020 said:

Just dropping by to let you know Sky-Watcher have just released firmware that allows you to operate it as an Equatorial Mount.  

I made a short video.  

Do you know what the thread size is for the Counterweight bar? I’ve been meaning to try this out, wonder if you could put a second small scope on there?

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do you know what the thread size is for the Counterweight bar? I’ve been meaning to try this out, wonder if you could put a second small scope on there?

Yes it is M12 size.  

The stock bar from an EQ-1 will work but I just used an M12 bolt 240 mm in length for this video.   I think you could put a second scope there quite easily.   I plan to use the counterweight even in Alt Az mode from now on as it balances better.  

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-m12-x-240mm-treated-pine-cup-head-bolts-and-nuts-12-pack_p2360745

On 22/04/2018 at 04:12, TSRobot said:

Did this just become the best dinky goto ever? Ordering now........?

Yes it is a great little unit.  One advantage I found with the counterweight bar is you can use it to get a very precise level on the mount.  I put a bubble level along the counterweight bar in Alt/Az mode and you can see the degree of level much more accurately than using the built in bubble level on top of the mount. 

Levelling it this way I am seeing better accuracy than I was getting previously. 

Here is a brief time lapse of tracking the moon after a careful level using the new method. 

Speaking of a two scope balanced setup on the azgti. Wouldn't they both be so small to stay inside the 5kg limit. Or if it's balanced does the limit go up a bit? Thinking of zn70 and mak90? Would still  need a bit of diy work??

• 2 months later...

I have just seen that new firmware version 3.12 is available for Skywatcher AZ GTI mounts. It does show as they are not so new but when you downloaded and unzipped the files it says Jun-22nd-2018 as the update date of the file" I didn’t installed it yet but just sharing for info.
Cheer

skywatcher az gti.png

• 2 months later...
On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 01:12, fireballxl5 said:

can you auto guide this mount?

I would Also like to know this, as I have the SA and was thinking of buying this to replace.

FLO have posted on another thread, that it is compatible with EQMOD with the correct cable between the head and PC, so I am assuming it will allow pulse guiding ? I hope someone who is familiar with EQMOD will be able to confirm this.

John

Archived