Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher GTi mount

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own one of these. The mount is great and very easy to set-up and use and it tracks very well.

The weak link is the tripod, which in my view is not up to the job, especially if you are going anywhere near the mount's load capacity of 5kg. I have already replaced mine with an EQ5 tripod and it is as solid as a rock.

I can't comment on comparison with the old AZ mount as I have never used one.

Here are a couple of other threads that might help...

59 minutes ago, DRT said:

I own one of these. The mount is great and very easy to set-up and use and it tracks very well.

The weak link is the tripod, which in my view is not up to the job, especially if you are going anywhere near the mount's load capacity of 5kg. I have already replaced mine with an EQ5 tripod and it is as solid as a rock.

I can't comment on comparison with the old AZ mount as I have never used one.

Here are a couple of other threads that might help...

Thanks for that looks good, how are you finding the control via the phone/tablet?

If you want to use the Skywatcher Synscan app, its fine on android and iPhone. The SW Synscan app does not show you an image of the sky, you get a list of objects, select what you want, then the mount moves to the correct place.

If you want to use a planetarium app like Sky Safari (in conjunction with the SW app), it does not appear to work properly with an iPhone or ipad. I do have it working with a couple of different android devices, both tablet and phone.

20 minutes ago, JonC said:

If you want to use a planetarium app like Sky Safari (in conjunction with the SW app), it does not appear to work properly with an iPhone or ipad. I do have it working with a couple of different android devices, both tablet and phone.

That is correct unfortunately Jon. If you want to use SkySafari on the AZGTI, you need two iOS devices, one running SynScan and one running SkySafari.....

40 minutes ago, JonC said:

Some people were talking about it handling more when combined with a larger tripod, 9Kg was mentioned. Don't think I would want that much on it.

Having seen the size of the tiny screws keeping the clamp on the mount I don't think I'd risk that, never mind what it would do to the motors :eek:

Another thread that has some information and views:

I think it's one of the best new releases of the year. I've been a bit disappointed with goto mounts in the past - just seemed to take a lot of time to set up and not very portable or easy to use (e.g. Ioptron minitower 2). However this mount with my 4kg frac works brilliantly. Very light and portable using a better photo tripod than that supplied. Synscan iPhone app works well albeit seems to lack several objects. Goto is accurate and is easy to set up with two star alignment. Two aspects that aren't so good are dovetail clamp (disappointing that it seems this can't be replaced) and link up with sky safari. But for the price I think it's great value (and it got sold out at flo very quickly so has obviously attracted several people)

3 hours ago, ronin said:

With the beefier tripod how well does it handle 5Kg?

The last 5Kg mount I looked at gave the impression that at 3Kg it would collapse in a crumpled pile. :eek:

I use my 4kg refractor with a 1kg eyepiece and 2 inch diagonal so probably approaching 6kgs in total with Finder as well. I use a gitzo photo tripod instead of the supplied one. The mount is fine with this weight even at high magnifications.

I think the length of the scope is also a key factor for how the mount does. My refractor is relatively short at around 80cm.

Sounds promising, the refractor I would like it to handle is shorter at 55mm (sure it looks bigger but 2 tape measuers say 55), no diagonal or eyepiece. Weight is similat ar 4.0 for the OTA.

I looked at the iOptron SmartEQ a few years back and really had the idea that collapse was probable. Mainly it will be for occasional use with that scope, normal will I guess be a lighter one that I have.

As was previously mentioned I wonder if a bit beefier one will appear, equally beefoer = heavier and a lightweight mount is very useful and usable.

I'm currently looking for a (relatively) simple Goto mount and on the face of it, the GTI ticks most of the boxes. Just weighed my scope and it comes to 4.5kg which is approaching the limit for the mount plus it doesn't really allow for adding heavier upgrades later on. Worried that it won't be that stable and I don't really want to mess about changing the legs with the added expense, I just want something that will be good to go straight out of the box at a reasonable price.

if only they did a 9kg version like my porta II, it would already be ordered...

• 1 month later...
On 28/08/2017 at 18:10, steve_bham said:

I know it's a fairly new mount but does anyone know of any reviews or anyone own one?

looking to know more about its stability etc? Is it better than the old AZ mount?

Thanks ?

Hi,  I bought one a few days ago. I was previously using a Star Discovery Mount which works great but this new model is much lighter and easier for transport.  I am a pilot and travel a lot and take my gear with me. 

Here is a mini review of the mount.  I mainly use it with a P900 camera for Solar Tracking (with a filter) and Lunar work.  

First impressions are very good - it seems nice - it works very smoothly though is noisier than my Star Discovery mount. 

The App works well but has a bug relating to the Moon which is not shown in the correct location.  I have been in touch with Sky-Watcher and they have confirmed the bug and will correct this in the next App version. 

I use it on a standard photographic tripod which is stable enough for the camera work.   The supplied tripod is more substantial and stable. 

Here is my review and a quick demo in Solar Tracking mode. 

5 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Interesting review. Could you tell me what your white lens ring connector is please?

Thanks, Sure, the camera is a P900 and it is very nose heavy - the standard mounting hole underneath was developing cracks around it and was impossible to secure firmly.  I tried the lens ring from a canon lens and it fit perfectly.  It holds the P900 solidly - much better than the original hole ever did.   It fits like it was made for it. 

It is this model - the B W version

https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/canon-tripod-mount-ring-b-white

The C W version is too big and does not hold the camera well. 

8 hours ago, Wolfie6020 said:

As a follow up I am testing a beta version of the next Synscan app update and the Moon bug is gone and there are some great extra features including more alignment options. 

Good stuff, glad it's sorted. I'd just like to see a larger database even if it's an option to add as I find it quite limited.

6 hours ago, happy-kat said:

That's great, quick response from Skywatcher that's two members trying. Are you testing with android or ios?

The version I am testing is Android only.    My Star Discovery mount has a simple solar tracking mode which was basically point at the sun and enable and it would follow it nicely. 

This new version of the App seems to have that option for every star & planet in the database.  No alignment needed - just aim at the target you want - e.g. the Moon, then select it in the menu and use "point and shoot"  It tracks beautifully. 

Archived