Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nice to see...

estwing

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Interestingly, the most successful outreach events I've attended have been under very average skies...

Thats my experience as well. Bristol AS are stuck largely with the skies around that city. There are some decent places but many have LP issues. We have held outreach starparties right next to the M5 motorway and at Clifton Down near the suspension bridge. Really quite light polluted but we got loads of enthusiastic people.

We do also use some local National Trust properties which do have darker skies so folks can see some of the DSO's reasonably well.

I do agree with what Steve / swamp thing said about getting out of our backyards through. Joining Bristol AS and taking part in outreach events over the past 24 months has provided me with a huge boost to my enthusiasm and interest in astronomy. I realise now how "stale" I was getting observing on my own even though I have been able to share the reports on here :rolleyes2:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very true, John. I've been roped into helping out a little with astro stuff in my area as well.

It's pretty much kicked off the passion again. Last night I was out 'SQMing' and was rewarded with a setting orange moon. That, and and the folk on SGL inspires, too.   :)

1 hour ago, John said:

I do agree with what Steve / swamp thing said about getting out of our backyards through. Joining Bristol AS and taking part in outreach events over the past 24 months has provided me with a huge boost to my enthusiasm and interest in astronomy. I realise now how "stale" I was getting observing on my own even though I have been able to share the reports on here :rolleyes2:

I agree John! Going along to my local Astro club since the start of this year has really increased my enjoyment of astronomy. Much more fun observing with friendly people than on my own.

Archived