Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

SacRiker

Saturn from California

SacRiker    177

Saturn is hanging very nicely in the southern sky at the moment so I decided to drag the old scope outside and take a peek. A little embarrassed to post a cell phone pic, but it's all I have! Through the scope I was able to see the Cassini division quite easily with a 6mm EP. 

I also turned the scope over to sagittarius and was able to see M23 for the first time...was pretty cool. (or maybe it was M7? It looks like it's pretty close...that's the frustration with manual scopes...never know if you are looking at what you think you are looking at! Either was it was a great sight).

IMG_1849.PNG

• Like 3

Galen Gilmore    419

Nice job! It's a good phone pic.

M23 is quite a it dimmer than m7, m7 is also more spread out. If what you saw was bright blue stars that almost fill the entire field of view then it was m7, m6 is also very close by so it could also be that.

• Thanks 1

SacRiker    177
On 8/31/2017 at 13:33, Pete Presland said:

That's a superb capture, Saturn isn't the easiest target with any equipment! 

Thank you!