sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Hello! I traveled to the USA with my partner to witness "The Great American Eclipse", as the locals called it. We first spent a few days in New York and then went on a roadtrip down to Nashville. Two friends joined us there, and we ended up going to Gallatin, Tennessee to watch and photograph the event. We set up our gear on a Walmart parking lot hours before the eclipse to avoid any possible traffic jams. The weather was great, and we saw the eclipse from start to finish. I photographed it using a Canon EOS 60D, 300/4L and a Star Adventurer tracking mount. I controlled the camera with Eclipse Orchestrator, so I wouldn't have to spend time fiddling with the camera during totality. Here are some of the photos I took. You can find more photos at http://www.samulivuorinen.com/

IMG_1743-X2.jpg

IMG_1677-X2.jpg

IMG_1670-X2.jpg

IMG_1668_noflare-X2.jpg

IMG_1580-X2.jpg

baily-composite-X2.jpg

• Like 8

Just looked at these on our big screen. They look amazing, particularly the last, the diamonds are sparkling so much on the pink bands. The 4th is unusual as well with what I presume is a star in the frame. A wonderful set. :) 

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Just looked at these on our big screen. They look amazing, particularly the 4th, the diamonds are sparkling so much on the pink bands. The 4th is unusual as well with what I presume is a star in the frame. A wonderful set. :) 

Thank you! And yes, that is indeed a star, Regulus.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By billyb93
      I currently have a Canon T6 with a Opteka 500mm f8 lens ($87) that I use for lunar and solar photography. I recently purchased a full frame Canon EOS R and am thinking about getting a 800mm f11 Canon RF lens ($899). Will the quality on the new canon lens be significantly better than my Opteka lens? Is it worth the upgrade? Also, should I use my new full frame or my crop sensor (1.6 factor) to shoot? I want to get the best quality possible. 
    • By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Hello!
      I have been really inactive here, so apologies.
      Here are a few images of the Solar Eclipse, happened on 21 June 2020. It was annular, but partial from Mumbai region (around 60% covered). Maximum phase of the eclipse was at around 11:30 a.m. IST.
      This is actually onset of our 4-5 months of monsoon season, so getting decent skies was a tough part. Luckily got decent cleared patches here and there with occasional rains.
      I had to use whatever I had to make a comfortable view of the eclipse, thanks to the lockdown.
      I simply took a box, made a whole of the size of the eyepiece on one end, cut the opposite side and attached a paper. I had to do little bit here and there attachments for perfect angle. But was really happy with the results. 
      One of the best experience was when I was seeing the Sun while it was drizzling at the same time.
      Thanks!
      -Rhushikesh Deshpande.

• By johnno0015
      An image created by the NASA visualisation studio of what a lunar eclipse would look like from the surface of the moon! Pretty cool right? If you want to get a better understanding of what is happening and why, you can checkout this article HERE which goes into the theory behind it all and also shows you what a solar eclipse would look like from the surface of the moon. 

• By Hughsie
      Appreciate there are a lot of Lunar eclipse images out there.
      After the eclipse I wanted to put together a composite image (if that’s the term) as I have never done that before. Any way, I’ve thrown this together. 
      Thank you for viewing

• By Owmuchonomy
      We had gorgeous skies here from 3:30 am so I watched the whole thing.  I took a few colour snaps with my Canon DSLR through the ED80 and here are a couple untouched.  Marvellous experience.
      4:42 am

5:13am

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.