SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light with SW80ED report

Last night the conditions were very good and I tried out a new scope the SW 80 ED with 3 BST Starguider lenses 25 , 12 and 5mm - I also used the RDF from the 130P to keep the weight down as it was mounted on a simple AZ Celestron mount - a SW AZ4 is high up on the to-do list . 

I spent about 3 hours in the back garden last night and tried to stick to well known , easy to find targets . 

The Double Cluster in Perseus was first and everything was bright and sharp at low magnification . 

Bode's Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy were bright and clear in the same FOV at low magnification - it might have been conditions , but the last time I tried these two targets in a Meade 90 refractor the former was faint and the latter close to invisible . 

The Triangulum Galaxy was next en route to M31 and the Andromeda Galaxy was the best I've seen it in a refractor . The central core was bright and with averted vision "the wings" were clear as well . M32 was visible in the FOV as well at low magnification . 

Continuing the theme of wings , the Wild Duck Cluster was next and it too was the best I've seen it ... Looking at M11 this afternoon in Turn Left At Orion they mention a V formation of stars and that's when it dawned on me the origin of the name : ducks fly in a V formation .

The Ring Nebula was small but bright in averted vision and Epsilon Lyrae was attempted next but to no avail - have to try the 200P to finally split that double double . 

Several Clusters in Cassiopeia were next and several more Clusters in Auriga were also attempted , but the brighter M36 was the only one found ... That nearby M37 has been hunted in many scopes ( including GOTO ) and binoculars but with no luck on that front .

Saturn Nebula was tracked down in binoculars , but unfortunately I could not find it in the scope afterwards - probably just tiredness at that stage . 

Finally , had a look at M13 and it too looked surprisingly well in a 80mm refractor . The longer the time spent on that Cluster the more detail started to reveal itself - still haven't a clue what that propeller is that people talk about , will have to try that one in the 200P another night . 

I would give the SW 80 ED an easy 10 out of 10 . 

Very nice list of sucesses with your lovely new ED80 :thumbright:

M33 is a pretty tough one with 80mm unless the sky is really dark and transparent !.

You should be able to split Epsilon Lyrae with the scope but will need around 130-150x to do it.

The "propeller" in M13 is a shape created by slightly darker or less dense areas of the cluster. Again not an easy target with a smaller aperture. Sara Wager (Swag on SGL) has captured it well here:

propellor-in-m13-fb_orig.jpg

35 minutes ago, John said:

The "propeller" in M13 is a shape created by slightly darker or less dense areas of the cluster. Again not an easy target with a smaller aperture. Sara Wager (Swag on SGL) has captured it well here:

Unless I'm going crazy John, that's a different propeller to the one I have seen. I can see the one I know opposite the highlighted one. Interesting.

The ED80 should easily split the Double Double so give it another go.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Unless I'm going crazy John, that's a different propeller to the one I have seen. I can see the one I know opposite the highlighted one. Interesting.

The ED80 should easily split the Double Double so give it another go.

Actually, now you mention it, there appears to be 2 "propellers" in the image - the one highlighted and a larger but less distonct one on the opposite side of the cluster :icon_scratch:

A "twin prop" globular ?

Just now, John said:

Actually, now you mention it, there appears to be 2 "propellers" in the image - the one highlighted and a larger but less distonct one on the opposite side of the cluster :icon_scratch:

A "twin prop" globular ?

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. I had heard that there were more than one, possible multiple ones forming the sides of a polygon. I'll see if I can find something on it.

It's been a while but I'm sure when I last imaged M13 the propeller spanned more of M13, I could be wrong though. Anyway I had no idea there was two or more!

Yes, like the one in the last pic Stu posted.

Thanks for all the responses . Epsilon Lyrae "might" have been split last night because I could detect faint doubles and panned down to Vega to make sure focus was as sharp as possible and not a fraction off that could cause slight distortion , then tried again with the same result , faint but not sure - it is definitely top of the to-do list at higher power on the next clear night . 

The uploads of the propeller are very useful because they give a region of the cluster to focus on . I thought as well the propeller spanned the whole cluster and the first shape I seen in it was a capital H from the magic eye effect . 

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Back to the OP, aperture makes a big difference on globs, I've seen the propeller in an 8", can recall if I've managed in a 4" though. 

That`s the plan for next time ... to use the 8" Dob on Epsilon Lyrae and M13 ... also looking to try a couple of 2" eps in that scope for the first time , so that`s an added incentive to use it next time .

My best memory of Epsilon Lyrae is actually a naked-eye one. I was at a party a couple of years ago on a beautiful June evening and remember seeing the stars gradually come out as the sky got darker and I got tipsier. I knew I was drunk when I couldn't resolve the wide pair of Epsilon Lyrae anymore :D

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:12, John said:

Very nice list of sucesses with your lovely new ED80 :thumbright:

M33 is a pretty tough one with 80mm unless the sky is really dark and transparent !.

You should be able to split Epsilon Lyrae with the scope but will need around 130-150x to do it.

propellor-in-m13-fb_orig.jpg

Always helps to know what you're looking for when it comes to things like this - I'll look out for it next time :D

Archived