Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best sky app

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Sky Safari is particularly good.  There are three versions at varying price points, the Basic, Plus and Pro, which have varying levels of plotting accuracy (forward and back in time) as well as depth of the catalogue of plotted objects.  Some versions also permit telescope control etc.  I believe the Basic was offered free in recent days and it still might be.

Stellarium and dso planner plus for me, dso has different levels like skysafari, starting with a decent free version, I've used stellarium on android and IOS but have to say the apps aren't as good as the PC version

11 minutes ago, DavidJM said:

Stellarium and dso planner plus for me, dso has different levels like skysafari, starting with a decent free version, I've used stellarium on android and IOS but have to say the apps aren't as good as the PC version

That's because there is no Android or iOS version of Stellarium. "Stellarium Mobile Sky Map" is a separate project by a separate developer and any money paid only goes towards the SMSM app and not towards continuing development of the "real" Stellarium. 

I use Stellarium on PC and SkySafari Plus on Android. 

29 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

That's because there is no Android or iOS version of Stellarium. "Stellarium Mobile Sky Map" is a separate project by a separate developer and any money paid only goes towards the SMSM app and not towards continuing development of the "real" Stellarium. 

I use Stellarium on PC and SkySafari Plus on Android. 

Well noted point that a lot of people may not know, although it is designed by the original developer of Stellarium it is not linked to the "real" PC version

I used stellarium on pc and android. Pc version is much better. Recently purchased sky safari 5 plus for android and it is really good. 

I'd suggest getting stellarium and see how you get on with it before buying sky safari.

Hi Steve.

I use Sky Safari  (I just use the 'basic' app) on my iPhone, SkEye on an Android OS tablet, and a few Linux, Mac OS, OS/2, MSFreeDOS & MS Windows compatible programs on laptop/PC's (far to many... but never enough)! :evil62:

SkySafari Plus on my older smartphone, Pro on the Sony Xperia Z Compact ( for use with the 18" dob - Plus will be enough for most scopes). Usually two or three times a year, Plus and Pro are offered at a substantial reduced price (-50%), for a week; thanks to a heads up here on SGL I bought the Pro version. So, if you can wait....

Lunar Map HD, using the LRO map - excellent.

Stellarium on my Linux notebook.

I don't feel the  need for other or more apps.

Stephan

Hi Steve,

SkySafari is great for exploring the sky, planning and controlling a telescope. I use it on a Samsung tablet and connect to my CPC-800 through a homemade Bluetooth adapter. The information it gives is fantastic. The Galaxy view in version 5 is interesting as well.

On the PC I use Cartes du Ciel. An interesting user interface but worth playing around with.

+1 for sky safari on iPad.

start with the basic, until you din it’s limitations.

keep eye ofpen for discounted prices as well.... there is often a short time with reduced prices.

there is a port of Stellarium to iOS, but there are limitations that made me stop using it.

For mobile devices, SkySafari takes some beating. I recently upgraded to 5 pro at full price (!), not because I needed the extra functionality of 4 pro that I already had, but because I wanted to support its continued development.

I remember the sort of money I used to pay for much less functional astro packages for PC's back in the day. 

I hacked up an interface using a Raspberry Pi to allow me to control my EQ6 pro with my Android tablet using SkySafari via WiFi. It's so long since I usd it I can't remember how it works! :)

Hi Steve from Land Down Under

I cannot talk about apps for IPhone as have an Android phone

Use Sky Map, StarTacker

For GPS location use Ulysse Gizmos

Some other useful apps

Meteor Shower Calendar, Heavens Above, ISS Detector, Planetarium

Enjoy your time viewing what is above us

John

Archived