Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

gnomus

North America and Pelican Mosaic in Hubble Palette

In June, I managed to get just over 11 hours data for an SHO Pelican Nebula.  SGP's Framing & Mosaic wizard makes it relatively straightforward to plan mosaics built upon an existing image.  This, therefore, is a two-panel mosaic of the North America and Pelican nebulae in SHO captured using my dual WO Star 71 Rig.

Details

• WO Star 71 x 2
  • Moravian G2-8300 x2
  • Mix of Astrodon and Chroma filters
  • Ha - 32 x 12000s = 10 hours 40 mins
  • OIII - 24 x 1200s = 8 hours
  • SII - 24 x 1200s = 8 hours

That's 26 hours 40 mins total

I built the mosaic using a trial version of AstroPixel Processor.  (I also did it in PixInsight, but APP seemed to give me more usable area on the combined panels.)

NAN_Peli_Mosaic_FINx2560.thumb.jpg.beb485bb24357becc9e21492fb9f32af.jpg

• Like 14

Right on the money. As with your previous NB image I wonder if you're considering a more 'pushed' version? I think the data could stand it but it's all a matter of personal prefence. This is as clean as a whistle.

Olly

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

Right on the money. As with your previous NB image I wonder if you're considering a more 'pushed' version? I think the data could stand it but it's all a matter of personal prefence. This is as clean as a whistle.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  I'm trying to stop myself from pushing things too hard.  I had several 'cartoon' versions before settling on this one!

1 minute ago, gnomus said:

Thanks Olly.  I'm trying to stop myself from pushing things too hard.  I had several 'cartoon' versions before settling on this one!

It's always best to push too far and then come back. At least you know what's in there.

Olly

52 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

I am Faust to your Mephistopheles (is this what you had in mind?):

NAN_Peli_Mosaic_FIN_V3x2560.thumb.jpg.6d9ebb11e29f87336e1883766d806724.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent work, and a lovely result, really smooth and nicely processed.  I think I like the 2nd version the best, but they are both good.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

Incidentally, this new revision brought out an interesting feature.  I don't know if there are different names for the constituent parts of the NAN.  However, at the 'very top' of North America (and just left of centre, mind), I see a feature that I am calling 'The Donald'.  Perhaps, the stars have indeed been trying to tell us something all along:

donald_feature.thumb.jpg.e031b07d4e8fce7237f1519110f5e336.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice Steve.... This looks bang on the money. Glad that the APP mosaic tool worked as well...... :) great rendition and great framing too :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, swag72 said:

Very nice Steve.... This looks bang on the money. Glad that the APP mosaic tool worked as well...... :) great rendition and great framing too :)

So am I.  I pretty much tortured Mabula getting him to show me how to use it!!!   Thanks for your comment.

6 minutes ago, gnomus said:

So am I.  I pretty much tortured Mabula getting him to show me how to use it!!!   Thanks for your comment.

Sorry that my video didn't help :(

Just now, swag72 said:

Sorry that my video didn't help :(

Your video was extremely helpful.  However, I 'practised' with some SADR panels that I shot a year or so ago, and these were of poor quality and had a very limited (~11%) overlap.  This resulted in multiple registration errors.  Mabula tells me he has tweaked his registration 'algorithms' a couple of time as a result.... 

58 minutes ago, gnomus said:

I am Faust to your Mephistopheles (is this what you had in mind?):

NAN_Peli_Mosaic_FIN_V3x2560.thumb.jpg.6d9ebb11e29f87336e1883766d806724.jpg

Ugly hell, gape not! Come not, Lucifer!

I'll burn my books (and go easy on the saturation.)

Ah Mephisotopheles...

(Though I suspect that your Faustus might be Busoni's rather Kit Marlowe's?)

The Donald is a world class discovery. :D

Olly

• Haha 1

Congratulations Steve, this is a super image with tight star control, colour, contrast and delightful inky-blue dark nebula.  A lot to like and apprecaite here with your delicate processing.

• Thanks 1

Stunning image, Steve. But it has me confused. Both the wall and the pelican's neck appear as billowing clouds. The blue field (NA 'continent' and pelican's body) appears as one entity having a black cloud in front of it. But with this interpretation, the HH object in the pelican's neck doesn't make sense. To me it appears to go the wrong way. This is an optical illusion, but it's somewhat unsettling. (My brain interpretes the scene as being illuminated from the upper right corner.)

Thanks Wim.  I'm not sure I follow your confusion, since I don't know enough to have a view as to which way the HH should go.  I understand that the Pelican and NAN are, as you say, one nebula more than 2 degrees in extent.  'The Donald and his Wall' and the Pelican neck will, I would imagine, be ionized by separate new-ish, nearby, hidden stars.  

Beautiful image!

You are one of the imagers that I use as a benchmark for  imaging.

• Thanks 1