Narrowband

Celestron Advanced VX no power.

Keener_7

Hi all, I prucahed an Advanced vx mount about 3 years ago or so. I have only use it maybe 10 times or so during the first year. I had a couple kids and didnt have much free time after that. So the mount has been sitting in yhe spare bed for the last 2 years.

I had some time last week and decdied to take it out and give it some use. I lug the whole thing outside set it up, filick the power switch and nothing. No light on the mount or nothing to the handset. 

I dont know, I tested the adaper and it works fine. It worked fine when I put it away. Just at a total loss. 

Anyone had this issue? Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

Dont have this mount or know anything about it so cant offer any specific advice - just a question of going through things in sequence. A total failure is probably easier to sort than an intermittent problem - some consolation maybe!

If its not a silly question, how did you test the adapter? Also is there any obvious fuse? Does the lead maybe have a fuse in the line?

Theres a thread on CN about dodgy connections here.

Sorry, probably not much help!

I tested the output of the power adapter while it was pluged into a power bank using a voltmeter. Its show a correct output of apox. 12.5 volts.

Also opend up the small cover on the mount where the power input and power switch are located. Could not see any fuse or broken or lose wires.

4 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

The internal connector is a bad design...id start looking in that direction first...

Assuming the power supply is working?

Yep. Comfirmed the power supply is working. I may need to have a closer look at the internal connecter now though.

May be completely unrelated, but when I first got my AVX it had to go back pretty quickly to Celestron for repair of the main power socket on the mount as it kept switching off, so it could be something like that?

Just now, Tommohawk said:

If your meter has an ohmmeter setting you could try connecting meter across the power socket on the mount, and switching on to check for a circuit.

I tried that yesterday, and there was no continuity. :(. So there seems to be a lose connection in there somewhere.

Sounds like you're a dab hand with a metre. Can you work your way round the PCB and check where the failure is? You'd think the power light would be pretty much across the + and - so if the power lights not on it should be something pretty basic. Maybe not though!

35 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

It is possible as I've done it myself ..when you screw the power cable on if the locking nut isn't tight you can wrap the internal wires off the motherboard..also it has a plastic lug that is easy for it to become unattached

I did notice it looked like the wires there were a little twisted.

21 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Sounds like you're a dab hand with a metre. Can you work your way round the PCB and check where the failure is? You'd think the power light would be pretty much across the + and - so if the power lights not on it should be something pretty basic. Maybe not though!

I can check a couple more places. When I looked yesterday, it was kind of a tight mess, I didnt want to pull and prod to much. I do think it probally somthin small like a lose or broken wire. I will have a closer look this weekend. At this point I dont have much other options short of sending it in for repair.

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Probably power connector twisted, mine is a bit loose too, easy to turn and pull off leads behind .

Its a possibility. I just find it odd how it worked fine when I last used it, then just sat in a closed room for 2 years and now it won't even power up. Going to have a closer look on Saturday. 

9 hours ago, Keener_7 said:

I just find it odd how it worked fine when I last used it, then just sat in a closed room for 2 years and now it won't even power up. 

Agreed - maybe its trying to tell you something? 

Good luck, I'm sure it can be sorted fairly easily.

12 hours ago, newbie alert said:

It is possible as I've done it myself ..when you screw the power cable on if the locking nut isn't tight you can wrap the internal wires off the motherboard..also it has a plastic lug that is easy for it to become unattached

In the pic the 2 circled areas should be connected.. 

20170825_100356.jpg

So I have it figured out. Its the actual power switch that has failed. If i run a jumper between the power switch pins in the board it powers up fine. 

Thank you everyone for all your help. This place is one of the best communities I have ever been apart of! 

Now another question. If I bypass the power switch permanently, do you think it will be safe to run by only turning it off and on by pugging in the power cable?

Hey well done! I don't see that bypassing the switch should  cause any problems, though I'm always a bit nervous soldering onto PCBs. You could put a switch in the power line if you wanted. 

Maybe you could try switching it on and off furiously for a while to see if this cleans the contacts. Or get a replacement switch or dismantle and clean the original one? 

I did a quick look for a replacement switch but couldnt find one online. I took the current switch apart nad had a look. Didnt see any dirt or corrosion. And yea. Im not going to attemept to solder on the board, I don't have an iron and feels like i would be asking for trouble.

• 9 months later...

Thank you.!!! This thread just saved my ass.

power cable not working, appears i excessively twisted the socket and the little white plug came undone.

took it to pieces using this photo and repaired the mount. I am super chuffed with myself. Apart from dropping two tiny screws onto the grass, and having to get on my hands and knees and find them.

which idiot would unscrew a motherboard on grass??  This idiot.!!

Archived