sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Just sourced a USB lead to power my canon 1000d/500d , looks promising works on usb2 fine but not usb1 , 16000mah battery bank works , works on a galaxy tab2 USB charger but not in an Apple iPhone USB charger  yet to check it on my powered USB hub , I was looking to get away from the 240v mains powered charger .

34 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I don't think you can power the camera through the USB socket, you can get a cheap mains power supply with a dummy battery off EBay.

Dave

Well I'm delighted to say it does ?? already have  the 240v version 

Edited by bottletopburly
44 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

It does electronics in dummy battery boosts to 7.5v

Sounds good, please explain what I need to get hold of. All my USB sockets are 'live' so no problem there.

Rich

I found it first on Aliexpress part of the alibaba group , they had 2k in stock , then found it on eBay USA site so ordered through that came out at about £11 ish , I have that link at home on PC will post it this evening 

image.png

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Davey-T said:

So you're not powering it through the mini USB socket you're using a dummy battery power supply with a  buck converter in it ?

Dave

Correct davey?Here was original link i found https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ACK-E5-Dummy-Battery-LP-E5-DC-Coupler-External-Power-Supply-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-450D/32752274454.html?spm=2114.search0305.4.17.5zvGRk#thf

Edited by bottletopburly
  • Like 1
Just now, SilverAstro said:

Very interesting

but this  " Input: : 5V 2A-4A " is a bit concerning ! ? So deffo for a power bank, not your USBspeced computer.

well i tried it on my laptop usb2 and shot a few shots one after the other no problems ,not that i will be powering off the pc just wanted to see if it worked ,power bank 15000 mah worked 

Another thought : I wonder if it has a surge backup built in ? Like a small battery ! I dont think a big enough capacitor would fit in that size. Does the camera power down pronto if the USB plug is detached , , no dont mind me, , , just 'mulling' how I might do it, if I got a tuit :)

Edited by SilverAstro
1 minute ago, SilverAstro said:

Another thought : I wonder if it has a surge backup built in ? Like a small battery ! I dont think a big enough capacitor would fit in that size. Does the camera power down if the USB plug is detached , , no dont mind me, , , just 'mulling' how I might do it, if I got a tuit :)

powers down once detached 

Hi,

this is a rather dubious device. Can you by any chance measure the output voltage of the USB adapter? I guess it contains a step-up converter, but I am interested what voltages the camera will tolerate.

Sven

2 hours ago, freiform said:

Hi,

this is a rather dubious device. Can you by any chance measure the output voltage of the USB adapter? I guess it contains a step-up converter, but I am interested what voltages the camera will tolerate.

Sven

I will get electrical engineer at work to take a reading will update in due course 

19 hours ago, freiform said:

Hi,

Sven

Output 7.98v

20 hours ago, freiform said:

Hi,

Sven

In normal use a Canon camera will operate from 7.2V (normal battery) to around 9.6V (set of 6 Duracell's in a battery grip), in general they dont like running on an external PSU at 7.2V and have found that 8V is a happy medium.

Alan

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Output 7.98v

Thank you. 

4 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

In normal use a Canon camera will operate from 7.2V (normal battery) to around 9.6V (set of 6 Duracell's in a battery grip), in general they dont like running on an external PSU at 7.2V and have found that 8V is a happy medium.

Alan

Thank you for confirming that. A 7808 it will be then ;)

• Like 1
On 24/08/2017 at 06:55, bottletopburly said:

Just sourced a USB lead to power my canon 1000d/500d , looks promising works on usb2 fine but not usb1 , 16000mah battery bank works , works on a galaxy tab2 USB charger but not in an Apple iPhone USB charger  yet to check it on my powered USB hub , I was looking to get away from the 240v mains powered charger .

IPhone charger is generally 5v 1.? 9 can’t remember exactly what, think 1.3A) but still A bit short of the 2A that your canon dummy battery needs.

an iPad charger should work, or, one of those multi port intelligent USB chargers, or, as you say a good power tank/

11 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

This lead doesn`t have the Dummy battery the vital part so bear that in mind before ordering .