SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Images from Central, South Carolina 8-21-17

Luna-tic

I live in NC but in the 98% area so I travelled to my brother-in-law's house near Clemson where it was 2min 33sec of totality. Setup is a Celestron C6, filtered and 6.3 focal reducer, 2" star diagonal and Nikon D3400. I shot filtered until just at 2nd Contact, got Bailey's beads, then popped the filter off and got immediate totality. Reversed that at 3rd contact, managed to get a Diamond Ring and more Beads. This was my first attempt at eclipse photography, and I'm satisfied with what I got. I shot over 150 images, from 1st contact to 2nd contact at 10 minute intervals and varying shutter speeds. I left my ISO at 800 for the duration. I got about 20 images during totality, shooting constantly and changing shutter speeds. After 3rd contact I shot for another ten minutes, maybe 30 more images, then quit. I figured the rest was like the first, only backwards.

Note: Can someone explain the artifact I got in my Diamond Ring shot? I'm thinking diffraction and/or coma from glare on the primary mirror at the moment of 3rd contact, but tell me if that's wrong.

Celestron C6-A on GEM with Nikon at prime focus.JPG

DSC_0505.JPG

DSC_0516.JPG

DSC_0553.JPG

DSC_0556.JPG

DSC_0567.JPG

DSC_0569.JPG

DSC_0572.JPG

DSC_0586.JPG

Archived