SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Elephants Trunk HaSHO

Rodd

Finally got the weather to collect the data for this image. 32.5 hours with the TOA 130 and SBIG STT 8300, 3nm Astrodon filters.

26 30min Ha

24 30 min OIII

15 30 min SII

I am thinking of collecting 6-7 more SII subs--but I am not sure it would improve the final image significantly.  I do see improved SNR between 10, 15 and 20 subs in general, so there would no doubt be a higher SNR in the final image.  We'll see.

Ha-SHO-1finalDenoiseRB-2.thumb.jpg.866581f58291ef125db8c2809cc854dc.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, daz said:

Like that a lot!!

33 hours worth is about a whole season in the UK.... :clouds2::(  :D 

Thanks daz--this is one reason I am wanting a fast scope--so I can finish images in 1 or 2 nights.  I got lucky with a couple of back to back nights--but it still took me 3 weeks

Rodd

I don't normally like this target in colour, but you have done an excellent job.  Probably because of the O3 and S2 which has brought some very nice detail to the nebulosity which doesn't show in Ha alone.  Certainly a much nicer image in my opinion than HaRGB.  33.5 hours?  Not possible here......

chris

48 minutes ago, cfpendock said:

I don't normally like this target in colour, but you have done an excellent job.  Probably because of the O3 and S2 which has brought some very nice detail to the nebulosity which doesn't show in Ha alone.  Certainly a much nicer image in my opinion than HaRGB.  33.5 hours?  Not possible here......

chris

Thanks Chris--I normally feel the same way.  I was a bit pensive because I tried this a while back with much less data and shorter subs at a shorter focal length.  I was never happy with the result.  Probably why I may have gone overboard with the data (that and its a new scope and I am just getting used to it!).

Rodd

I just could not abide by the magenta halo around the multiple star near the top.  here is a reprocess that improves that--among other things.  No star control, which I like better

Ha-SHO-3a-Final-curves.thumb.jpg.601c81f9492390d32364083e5ba9d501.jpg

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

I just could not abide by the magenta halo around the multiple star near the top.  here is a reprocess that improves that--among other things.  No star control, which I like better

Ha-SHO-3a-Final-curves.thumb.jpg.601c81f9492390d32364083e5ba9d501.jpg

Rodd, This final image is awesome!!  It has the sharpness it needs and all the details stand out like a 3d image.  In Awe!!

11 minutes ago, Rudeviewer said:

Rodd, This final image is awesome!!  It has the sharpness it needs and all the details stand out like a 3d image.  In Awe!!

Thanks Rudeviewer--I appreciate it. I have always wanted to do this target.  

Rodd

Here is a less aggressive version.  A bit darker, but cleaner with less sharpening and overall processing.  I am wondering if I add 3-4 more hours of red if it will eliminate some noise in the red channel.  that's the one with the least amount of data.

New-1a-MT-desat.thumb.jpg.7d5c1bc231f3bf6ccdf15e6060f2e274.jpg

I feel I used to much sharpening in all the versions.  I cut it back by 50-60%.  Yes another post--rather than an apology, an explanation.  It doesn't matter how restrictive I am in posting--I never really know what the image looks like until I post--for I process for full resolution mode and do not have access to that until I post. Zooming just does not seem to be the same for me.   Yes I could use Astrobin to the same effect.  Sometimes I do.  But this is easier. 

Newest-1desat.thumb.jpg.b260c640ca5f7f91de80350f2a1b56d9.jpg

1 minute ago, Tommohawk said:

Fabulous image - I'd be dead chuffed with that! (Not sure how "dead-chuffed" reads your side of the pond)

Thanks Tom.  To be honest, I have never heard that phrase.  I have family in Australia and have not heard it from them.  I have only been to England once, though.  If it means what I suspect it means, I am getting there.  I seem never to be satisfied, always in search of improvement if I think the data can support it.  I appreciate the sentiment.

Rodd

Excellent, really like that - but you said last tweak 3 tweaks back! Only kidding! 

BTW the magenta around the triple looks ok to me - but what do you think causes that? I put it down to CA when I imaged this with my Newt and coma corrector - but you can't be getting CA with your set-up. Is it natural rather than artefact?

7 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Excellent, really like that - but you said last tweak 3 tweaks back! Only kidding! 

BTW the magenta around the triple looks ok to me - but what do you think causes that? I put it down to CA when I imaged this with my Newt and coma corrector - but you can't be getting CA with your set-up. Is it natural rather than artefact?

Thanks Tom--I know--I just can't help but tweak and tweak.  I have this burning need to make the image as good as I can.  I really must learn a bit of patience and wait to post I suppose.  Its hard for me.

The Magenta halo is very common in Narrowband images.  I think it has to do with the filters, the sizes of stars, and the way the filter displays the energy signature.  3nm filters are usually pretty good.  I get much larger halos (usually blue) with my 7nm Baader filters). That triple star is tough.  At least its the only one.  But I did seem to make it worse when I tweaked the rest of the image.  I probably should have just left it alone.  Fortunately I still have the previous version.

Rodd

Archived