Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Hi,

First entry to SGL here, I took this in Vancouver BC where we got 88% coverage, this is 151 exposures taken on an HEQ5 through a Nikon d5200 iso 100 @ 1/20 shutter speed with a manual f/6.3 500mm catadioptic lense and a 2x telextender once every minute. All shot raw and processed through Nikon's software where I tweaked sharpness, levels and a bit of colour than normalized with PIPP, animated as a GIF and stepped down to 500 pixels x 500 pixels the full size gif is about 250MB! I also shot about 90GB of 4K video which I haven't even considered how to process yet...

Eclipse low res.gif

• Like 16

Really like that :)

Well done. Seriously jealous :D

Ant

That's great!!!!!! First SGL post and talk about entering with a BANG!!!.. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hughsie
      Appreciate there are a lot of Lunar eclipse images out there.
      After the eclipse I wanted to put together a composite image (if that’s the term) as I have never done that before. Any way, I’ve thrown this together. 
      Thank you for viewing

• By Owmuchonomy
      We had gorgeous skies here from 3:30 am so I watched the whole thing.  I took a few colour snaps with my Canon DSLR through the ED80 and here are a couple untouched.  Marvellous experience.
      4:42 am

5:13am

• By jambouk
      I am thinking of getting a Lunt 50mm scope. I want to image as well as observe. I am thinking I could put my ZWO on the scope and capture video. My question is, does focal length in a solar scope relate to the FoV as it does for a non-solar scope? The field of view calculator (http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php) suggests I could just about get a full disc with a focal length of 350mm (the 50mm Lunt), but not with a focal length of 500mm (the 60mm Lunt). Is my logic correct?

• By The-MathMog
      So, I am going to take my first steps into observing and hopefully imaging the sun, and get myself a filter for the telescope, just so that I have something to do, when I am working nightshifts, or the weather is bad at night. From what I can see, all I would need is a filter like this one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html. Is that so, or is there anything else that you would highly recommend that I get, and why? My telescope is a Skywatcher 150PDS on a Celestron AVX mount.
      On the same time, I am looking at buying a baader hydrogen alpha 3mm filter for imaging. Is this also something I could use for observing, or it is solely for imaging? Just curious.

Any comments, tips, advice would be very much appreciated, as I would rather not damage either my eyes, or more importantly my equipment! (jk)

• By smisy
      I made a 61 seconds long video, and with Gif maker pro application a Gif from this video. Huawei P10 smartphone with Celestron Nexstar 8 SE, 25mm plössl eyepiece, Alt-az mount. Taken at 2018. 08. 01. 00:49. Hirschegg im Kleinwalsertal. Moon was 79 % illuminated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.