SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Not full eclipse, but we got 40-45%!

great white

I set up my 10" dob with a baader filter and got some great viewing. Im in Atlantic Canada.

Quite a few active sun spot regions and was able to see the moon's valleys and mountains at the terminus. Was able to see some whisps in the corona and movement on the surface, especially in the sun spot regions. 

Did the colander trick too. Mother in law had never seen it before and thought it was neat!

Not the best quality, but I held my iphone up to the lens and pulled off some snaps. Please enjoy them for what they are:

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6099.JPG

IMG_6100.JPG

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6102.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

IMG_6104.JPG

IMG_6105.JPG

IMG_6106.JPG

IMG_6107.JPG

IMG_6108.JPG

IMG_6109.JPG

IMG_6110.JPG

IMG_6114.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

Also, heres a PSA on veiwing the sun through a telescope (or any other optical device):

I had removed the baader film to make an adjustment with the scope moved away from the sun. I had also capped the lens. Just to be sure (or so I thought), I popped the fabric cover over the OTA. 

Well, the sun must have transitioned over the OTA opening and enough light still got though the cover. Next thing you know-

ZAP! Solar laser!

Learned my lesson: OTA level in the daytime when not using it.

Luckily, no damage other than a pinhole in a lens cap.

Don't fool around with Mr Sun or you may find yourself the reciepient of unplanned and rather unpleasant laser eye surgery!

I might have re-check my collimation though, that pinhole is off to the side! Lol! 

IMG_6111.JPG

IMG_6113.JPG

8 minutes ago, great white said:

Also, heres a PSA on veiwing the sun through a telescope (or any other optical device):

I had removed the baader film to make an adjustment with the scope moved away from the sun. I had also capped the lens. Just to be sure (or so I thought), I popped the fabric cover over the OTA. 

Well, the sun must have transitioned over the OTA opening and enough light still got though the cover. Next thing you know-

ZAP! Solar laser!

Learned my lesson: OTA level in the daytime when not using it.

Luckily, no damage other than a pinhole in a lens cap.

Don't fool around with Mr Sun or you may find yourself the reciepient of unplanned and rather unpleasant laser eye surgery!

I might have re-check my collimation though, that pinhole is off to the side! Lol! 

IMG_6111.JPG

IMG_6113.JPG

Yikes :shocked:

Someone was one showing me a truss dob at an SGL event with the shroud still pulled up after showing me the workings. As he swung it round showing me the smooth movements the mirror caught the low sun and I felt an intense heat on my face. I am not sure he even realised but I suggested he put down the shroud. Luckily no harm done but with 16" of aperture it could have been nasty.

I don't like that hole in the lens cap - it makes me concerned about viewing the sun even with my home-made solar filter even though I tie it on too.  Great shots from Canada though :-)

Archived