SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help, where to begin?

RichM63

As the title says.

Info, I happen to have a Baader Solar filter that fits the 150-600 Tamron, so rattled off a series of stills with the 7D.

But what steps should I take to process a RAW frame? I have no idea which tools to use, what to enhance, convert, reduce etc.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

I don't need a detailed tutorial, but a quick bullet list will be a real help me to figure out the PP steps.

First ever Solar disc, taken with 7D @ 600mm ISO 100 f16 1/800 manual focusing.

Single frame RAW to JPEG in DXO Pro.

IMG_1120_DxO_DxO.thumb.jpg.a75b6c9fc96b0a6aeb8d5350927abbca.jpg

I'm at a bit of a loss.

Cheers, Rich

Sure, I see some fantastic Solar Images around here that most certainly required some PP.

I always shoot RAW, but am usually a daytime TOG, I don't know where to begin about bringing detail out of a Solar Image re contrast vs noise and colour or lack of.

If this was my typical object, I would be thinking that any small detail in the above is simply noise due to the tinges in the background.

Re software, I have DXO Pro, PSP etc.

Well you got some sun spots and some granularity on the surface.  It looks real to me.  With a DSLR on sun, moon and planets, you are always up against it with atmospheric turbulence.  Most sun/moon/planet guys use video (webcam type things).  Look up 'lucky imaging' to get an understanding of the technique.  The good news is that most of the software is freeware/shareware.

That's looks like whatever you're doing is fine. The exposure and detail are good.

I also use a 7D, but for processing individual frames I use Photoshop.. camera RAW to be more accurate... there you can tweak your levels to a great degree.

Well bullet list for my white light images:-

Capture ~150 frames + 20 frames for flat

Convert CR2's to TIFF's in PIPP

Create flat (I use Registax but other software is available for this purpose)

Stack ~50 from 150 frames (AS!3 / Registax)

Sharpen in ImPPG

Tweak in GIMP

There's a great tutorial by Michael pinned at the top of this board.

HTH

David

Archived