SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar Eclipse UK

Tddun

I haven't seen any threads regarding viewing the eclipse from the UK..

It will be only slightly visible before sunset.. and the current forecast for most of the UK looks poor so I can understand a kerbed enthusiasm.

Would using paper pinhole projection actually give any image of the eclipse bearing in mind how low down the sun will be?

It really depends on the brightness of the sun, rather than the altitude, though of course one can affect the other - at such a low altitude the view is not likely to beclear of haze or cloud - especially today!  As you say the prospects are pretty awful for most of us today in the UK.  I have my equipment ready in the car to go up to an excellent local viewpoint, but I can't see it's likely I'll be leaving the house - though you never know.

It's a shame as there are some nice sunspots to make the view, and any photos, more interesting.  I took this snap through cloud after getting home from work earlier.  Probably the last view I'll have today.

P8210193a.thumb.jpg.a79515c4fe02b39d8c68ed7f799dd164.jpg

55 minutes ago, Tddun said:

I haven't seen any threads regarding viewing the eclipse from the UK..

All Ive heard is that Sky News will be broadcasting the event, so thats where I'll be at 1800Hrs or maybe catch the highlights later.
I just hope for those folk who have taken more effort, their efforts were worthwhile. 

43 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Clouded out here too. Never mind. Knowing my luck the Moon would have got in the way anyway...

Ah, just checked and by lucky coincidence it's New Moon today, so no worries there about it interfering with totality!

Grabbed a glimpse with eclipse glasses and mark ones, got a good cloud gap.

Woo, hoo happy bunny on hols in Cornwall.

The family blew it though, said yeah, that's not like on TV, when's dinner!

It only makes sense to an astronomer, clearly.

We have just got back from trying to see the UK "sliver" eclipse from Somerset. We had a lovely view of the Sun looking down the Bristol Channel until 1 minute before the moons disk would start to show and then the Sun sank behind a dense cloudbank over S.Wales which subbornly stayed put and we have not seen the Sun since then :rolleyes2:

Hey, ho, thats how it goes sometimes. It was a nice evening walk anyway !

11 hours ago, John said:

We have just got back from trying to see the UK "sliver" eclipse from Somerset. We had a lovely view of the Sun looking down the Bristol Channel until 1 minute before the moons disk would start to show and then the Sun sank behind a dense cloudbank over S.Wales which subbornly stayed put and we have not seen the Sun since then :rolleyes2:

John, typical uk Astro.

I thought we were going to get the same, but the cloud for us this time parted rather than closed.

Have to say the only one in the family who was ignited by the sight was myself.

19 hours ago, John said:

Thanks for the help Paulastro

John, I had a carbon copy experience of yours.. exactly one minute before the moon was due to touch over the sun's surface and it went behind a dense cloudbank.. from what was a very clear part of the sky.. gutted.

Archived