SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eclipse Programme uk? Where is it?

Fozzie

Hi all,

I've been looking, and as the eclipse happens in good primetime tv viewing hours, I'd expected to see a live show broadcasting the event...?  Cant see one listed, am I missing something or can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Fozzie

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, valleyman said:

There is not a full eclipse here in the UK.

Thanks, im aware this is a central USA Event, but im just surprised there seems to be no coverage in the BBC or anything.. the last one where totality was in the fearo Isles had programmes dedicated to it, admittedly we had more than 10% here but still...?

You'd have thought BBC 3 or 4 would have piggybacked on an American feed?!

Thanks

Fozzie

I suppose my question should have been "why is there no programme dedicated to the event on British TV, given the interest in the last one?"

As mentioned above it will only be a 10% coverae of the suns disk here, just before sunset so you can see something, you will not really be able to tell the difference in terms of light level, and at present it looks like cloud for a lot of us.

It is only a 3 minute event when you think about it. I expect some coverage on the News programs, but the BBC will get flack for a whole prodiction team for a few minutes.

Stargazing Live did an almost classic for the one in the Faroe's. 3 days of Brian Cox, Dara O'Brian talking about the eclipse and when it occurred for less time then this on no-one saw it owing to the classic total cloud coverage. I don't think they covered the previous one in Cairns either. Suppose there is no real impact on people watching a TV feed of it, one of those events that is interesting but does not cross over to a TV program, you likely have to be there.

1 hour ago, ronin said:

As mentioned above it will only be a 10% coverae of the suns disk here, just before sunset so you can see something, you will not really be able to tell the difference in terms of light level, and at present it looks like cloud for a lot of us.

It is only a 3 minute event when you think about it. I expect some coverage on the News programs, but the BBC will get flack for a whole prodiction team for a few minutes.

Stargazing Live did an almost classic for the one in the Faroe's. 3 days of Brian Cox, Dara O'Brian talking about the eclipse and when it occurred for less time then this on no-one saw it owing to the classic total cloud coverage. I don't think they covered the previous one in Cairns either. Suppose there is no real impact on people watching a TV feed of it, one of those events that is interesting but does not cross over to a TV program, you likely have to be there.

When I checked it was just over 3% of the disc covered.

The sun is only 4.5 degrees above the horizon (in peterborough) when the eclipse start. 

Ant 

7 minutes ago, Ant said:

When I checked it was just over 3% of the disc covered.

The sun is only 4.5 degrees above the horizon (in peterborough) when the eclipse start. 

Ant 

That's what I read. Most areas in the UK only get the chance to view for part of the time the Moon is casting its shadow as the Sun will begin to drop below the horizon and the shadow is at the bottom of the Sun. My guess is that almost no one in the UK will see this eclipse as you would need to have a very low western horizon with no low cloud/haze obstructing your view. It certainly isn't looking good from here!

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Thanks, im aware this is a central USA Event, but im just surprised there seems to be no coverage in the BBC or anything.. the last one where totality was in the fearo Isles had programmes dedicated to it, admittedly we had more than 10% here but still...?

You'd have thought BBC 3 or 4 would have piggybacked on an American feed?!

Thanks

Fozzie

I suppose my question should have been "why is there no programme dedicated to the event on British TV, given the interest in the last one?"

Given the various threads criticising The Beeb for its efforts at coverage of astronomy they can't win...

As well as NASA TV I've got this open on the TV as well to see what it's like in 4K when it starts, although I can't get full screen at the moment for some reason, maybe I will be able to when it starts. http://www.astronomy.com/eclipsestream

I must admit viewing web pages on a big screen is quite good, just been looking at some SGL images, they look amazing. :) 

16 minutes ago, bejay1957 said:

Given the various threads criticising The Beeb for its efforts at coverage of astronomy they can't win...

Don't misunderstand me, im not aiming any criticism in any quarter.. I suppose I've mentioned the BBC because they do have a dedicated astronomy format, and have covered similar event historically.. when I say British TV I'm referring to Sky, digital, sat, cable what ever your choice.. seems surprising that there's no advertised dedicated programme for this event.

To be honest my question was more aimed on making sure I can see something of it.. not laying more criticism in any particular direction. (which BTW I don't believe i have openly criticised anyone in specific, as i don't believe being surprised that no mainstream channels are broadcasting a 100 year event, no mater where it is in the world, is criticism)

5 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I think the BBC news channel has live coverage from 18:00.

3 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Sky News are broadcasting live from 3pm. BBC News @ 6pm

Thanks I'll give this a look in..

Looks like I should be able to see it from here, according to Stellarium.  I have other places to be this evening however, and that low on the horizon the chances are that it will be obscured by cloud.  I can live with it, even if I have to wait four years for another.

James

The details I have from S.Wales are max. just over 4%  around 8.20 - minutes from sunset. Could be a chance about half hour earlier, as it starts - but it will be a mighty thin sliver !  Hope someone gets a view though.

andrew

Archived