sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

To have all the needed equipment easy to use and functional is important out there in the dark. I have earlier built an astroserver and put it in a box with wheels together with a car battery. That was in mind of to be portable. The astroserver work as a standalone unit and I control it remotly. As I see it it's a lot of advantages to have it like that when doing astrophotography.

You can read about the details here:
http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-astro-server-and-powerunit/project-astro-server-and-powerunit.html

But now when I'm ready to start to use my new observatory there is some different needs that the astroserver and it's power unit must be corrected for. My old astroserver works very well so I will keep most of the parts but remove the battery from it and have the battery stationary in the observatory. There are some other details that I have corrected too.

As usual I have taken some photos and written text to it so you can follow my work:
http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-astro-server-and-powerunit/project-astro-server-and-powerunit-ver2.html

I hope you find something you can use, or at least one little small detail.

/Lars

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steenamaroo
      Not strictly astro-gear but I took a look at the rules and didn't see any restrictions.
      If this is a problem please just let me know, or remove it.
      2009 Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 firmware.
      2x X5680 3.33ghz CPUs - 12 cores total. 24GB (3x8) 1333mhz DDR3. AMD Radeon RX570 4GB. Apple GT120 GPU included (for recovery/boot screens) 256GB Samsung SM951 AHCI SSD on 4X PCI-e card (1) 256GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME on 4X PCI-e card (2) One CD/DVD R/RW/DL reader/writer. (room for two). Both SSDs do approximately 1400MB/s each way.
      Plenty of room for additional internal storage, with 4 X empty 3.5" bays.
      Latest officially supported OS is 10.14.6, which will be installed and up to date.

UK postage is an option - I have the retail packaging plus a layer of polystryene and additional outer box.
      Buyer assumes all postage related risks. Can send plenty of packaging photos in advance.
      Lovely condition - very clean - no dents or noticeable scrapes.
      Less than two year old PSU and new replacement logic board.
      UK + Bank transfer only - Looking for approx £800 but willing to talk.

Edit #1 : Pictures and further info.
      Northbridge plastic retaining clips are a known point of failure on 4,1/5,1 Mac Pros.
      This one had the clips replaced with metal nuts + bolts before there was any problem.
      Custom fan curves always kept NB temps at 50 or below.

Edit #2
      I've just been reading through the thread about scammers etc.

Perhaps I should have said while my post-count here is low, I've used the same name online for many years,
      and am long-time admin of a pretty popular forum.
      I'm not going to advertise that here but if anyone's interested in this machine I can send some links for character reference.
      I also have 100% on ebay (800+) and would be happy exchange messages from my account, for confirmation.
    • By nkondrashov
      Hi,
      I'm going to rent a pier in shared observatory at Astrocamp.es Nerpio, Spain. 
      My setup is 10Micron GM1000HPS and I'm planning to order Lacerta Photonewton 200/800. It's well corrected carbon fiber Newtonian. 
      I don't require any equipment being contributed, just rent 50/50.  Total: 300 euro+Tax. hence 150 euro +tax per person.
      Thank you!
    • By Astrofriend
      I and my girlfriend was out in the forest and looking for Sweden's ancient history. We found what we looked for, but also something totally different, three old observatories. That's the observatories that was mentioned in the text about Swedish old observatories, translated to english by me. We had already drawed plan to visit this observatory, Tamm's observatoru in the future. But didn't expect to find it here.

Some photos from this lucky day and information I have collected:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/tamms-observatory/01-tamms-observatory.html

/Lars
    • By AldrinBGabuya
      Good day.
      I'm addressing this problem with our Scopedome shutter since December 2020. The problem occurs every once in a while either during opening or closing the shutter especially approaching the full-close position wherein it creates a loud "bang" noise.
      After inspecting the dome, I just found out that the gear is now not touching exactly the latch hole of the shutter. Herewith attached below are the images showing the problem.
      Any tips/suggestions on how to resolve this issue, particularly on the aligning them, what to use etc., if needs replacement?
      Excuse me if there are incorrect terms. I'm not that familiar with dome components.
      Thank you very much. Clear skies.

• By DeepSkyMan
      Hey guys, hoping to launch my Observatory build this year (2.7m Pulsar), and looking for some advice on electrical requirements.  Apologies for the brain dump, but when I started typing this up, I just seemed to keep coming up with other questions:-)
      My observatory site will require a 20m cable run from the house, which I am hoping will be as a spur off existing circuitry, although still to get my tame electrician to give me the low-down on the best solution. 
      Normal approach is to run a sub-surface conduit for both data and electricity supply, however it occurred to me that an alternative approach might be to have above surface conduits running from a supply point at the house to a receiving point at the observatory, somewhat along the lines of caravan hookups at camping sites.  Would be interested to hear from folks on this approach, especially if anyone has gone down this route.  
      Assuming we go down the sub-surface route:
      1/.  What would be an appropriate depth to lay the power and data conduits?
      2/.  Has anybody had data quality issues when running Ethernet in close proximity to a power conduit?  Data medium will be over CAT6, so I’m hoping that the more stringent specifications will be sufficient to remove this as a possible problem.  I’m aware of general protocols, which advise  against laying data cables parallel to power cables for extended lengths.  In the event that this is still an issue what approaches have people taken to providing similar data solutions for their own observatories?
      3/.  I’m also interested in future proofing the obsy with regards to power sockets.  Straight up, the following supply requirements spring to mind:
      —  Mount
      —  Computer
      —  Camera
      —  Dew control (transformed to 12V DC).  Possible I may continue to use my existing batteries for this purpose.  How have you guys tackled this?
      —  Dehumidifier
      So I’m thinking 4 double sockets should cater for these and provide me with sufficient expansion for unforeseen circumstance.  Is this sufficient?  Am I missing something?
       What is the maximum advisable current draw?  Intention is to have all supplies run through a fuse box local to the observatory and of course all plugs will utilise standard domestic fuses as well.
      With regards to lighting what solutions have you guys gone with?  I was thinking about just using a single standard red outdoor light, but it occurred to me that shadows might be an issue and so got to thinking about a surround lighting approach, perhaps using something similar to this:
      https://hartingtonheath.com/product/i-lumos-10-x-20mm-rgb-led-flexible-waterproof-neon-strip-light/
      On the possibility of an entirely WIFI based approach to data.  Is this realistic?  This would likely require booster units for the existing house WIFI, however I’m thinking that even then, data transfer rates for imaging might be an issue if I graduate to remote operation.
      Kind Regards
      Paul.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.