Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help me identify this fuzzy...

Peje

I've been gathering data for a 4 pane mosaic of the Andromeda galaxy and I noticed a fuzzy near M110, see attached screenshot. I've been searching online but can't find any information on it. Using Stellarium I have taken a guess at it's location:

0h 39m 30s / +41° 10'

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would find it?

Sketch (1)_LI.jpg

In my copy of Uranometria 2000.0 I can see a very small galaxy labelled U394 in just the position of your mystery object. I think that means it's from the Uppsala General Catalogue (UGC).

7 minutes ago, John said:

In my copy of Uranometria 2000.0 I can see a very small galaxy labelled U394 in just the position of your mystery object.

Thanks, that's brilliant. Is your copy the volume 1? I think it would be useful to order one from Amazon.

I don't suppose it tells you anything about it? Goggle isn't telling me much, I'm after a distance :)

I can't find any references to the object apart from it being shown in my Uranometria 2000.0 which is the All Sky Edition:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uranometria-All-Sky-Wil-Tirion/dp/0943396972

It seems to be expensive now though !

The position in Uranometria matches your image almost exactly. Not sure that Sky Safari does though :icon_scratch:

The UGC catalogue has to be purchased as far as I can see.

Here is a pic from my copy of Uranometria (hope it's OK to post this):

P1050826.JPG

Thanks guys. Thats all the info I was after, at least now I know to purchases that'll help me in the future.

It's a pity that app wasn't available for Windows, I loathe searching for stuff on my phone...must be getting to old!!

3 minutes ago, Peje said:

Thanks guys. Thats all the info I was after, at least now I know to purchases that'll help me in the future.

It's a pity that app wasn't available for Windows, I loathe searching for stuff on my phone...must be getting to old!!

I'm the same - I use my phone for making and taking phone calls. Not really "up with the times" I'm afraid :rolleyes2:

You might try FLO for Uranometria. They did have it at £60. As for Windows PC's then there are a wealth of programs out there form free (CdC) or paid Megastar, SkyTools etc. That would have allowed you to identify the object.

Owen

11 hours ago, John said:

The position in Uranometria matches your image almost exactly. Not sure that Sky Safari does though :icon_scratch:

Position looks right to me John. Skysafari shows far more field stars than the map you posted and the patterns match exactly, particular in relation to SAO36551 and the run of four stars from GSC-2792-1572. Not sure how you can say the map you posted shows it more accurately when the fainter field stars are not marked on it?

EDIT Have added another shot matching the orientation more closely.

IMG_3396.PNG

IMG_3404.PNG

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Position looks right to me John. Skysafari shows far more field stars than the map you posted and the patterns match exactly, particular in relation to SAO36551 and the run of four stars from GSC-2792-1572. Not sure how you can say the map you posted shows it more accurately when the fainter field stars are not marked on it?

EDIT Have added another shot matching the orientation more closely.

I agree it does match, the thing that confused me was the label for M110 is closer to a different galaxy which made me think the m110 was actually m31. I toally accept this was wrong, it just took me a few minutes to figure it out

3 minutes ago, Peje said:

I agree it does match, the thing that confused me was the label for M110 is closer to a different galaxy which made me think the m110 was actually m31. I toally accept this was wrong, it just took me a few minutes to figure it out

Ah yes, I can see that would be easy to mix up :)

All sorted now though. That is a good catch at mag 16.0!

I was a little disappointed by it's distance, I thought I had a contender for my most far away object.

I captured IC 4617 while doing Messier 3 which is a whopping 500 Mly away, if you click to zoom halfway between M3 and NGC5263 you will see a very faint galaxy :)

Messier 3

1 hour ago, obrazell said:

You might try FLO for Uranometria. They did have it at £60. As for Windows PC's then there are a wealth of programs out there form free (CdC) or paid Megastar, SkyTools etc. That would have allowed you to identify the object.

Owen

I did try Stellarum and could find it. Will have a look at the others, thanks.

Archived