Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally Complete

edjrgibbs

After several months of planning, ordering and getting sage advice from the SGL community, the Long Crendon Obsy is finally (almost)complete. All I need now is some clear skies to get cracking with alignment, calibration and imaging. Images below. For anyone interested here is a link to a short video of the build. 

The Long Crendon Observatory

Long Crendon Obsy (1).jpg

Long Crendon Obsy (2).JPG

Long Crendon Obsy (3).jpg

Long Crendon Obsy (4).JPG

Long Crendon Obsy (5).JPG

Long Crendon Obsy (6).jpg

Long Crendon Obsy (7).jpg

Long Crendon Obsy (8).jpg

Long Crendon Obsy (9).JPG

Long Crendon Obsy (10).JPG

Long Crendon Obsy (11).JPG

Long Crendon Obsy (12).JPG

Long Crendon Obsy (13).jpg

Basically, 8 7.3n hollow concrete blocks buried and filled with concrete and rebar, 4 1m M20 threaded rods set into the base, a custom pier (bought through AB&S with an NEQ6) and a customised Tiger Sheds 8x6 pent roof shed. Seems all pretty solid and i'm happy. Few things I would do differently but all in all worked well. 

Well Done !!

I'll be fitting a 7' x 5' pent roll off end of September.

Ground work and pier fitted.

Unfortunately 7' was all I could fit plus I have limited arcs of view from surrounding houses.

But when you weigh that up against lugging an neq6 and 102 frac outside (plus all the imaging kit) it'll be miles better !

I'll do my own post once it's built.

Neil

On 8/21/2017 at 15:57, smudgeball said:

Well Done !!

I'll be fitting a 7' x 5' pent roll off end of September.

Ground work and pier fitted.

Unfortunately 7' was all I could fit plus I have limited arcs of view from surrounding houses.

But when you weigh that up against lugging an neq6 and 102 frac outside (plus all the imaging kit) it'll be miles better !

I'll do my own post once it's built.

Neil

I'd have liked a warm room and a slightly larger obsy but had restrictions imposed by the significant other... I also had to move a few feet further into the garden after finding a water pipe exactly where I was planning to sink the pier base... All in its not really a problem as i'll be using teamviewer from the loft office after switching everything on. 

On 8/21/2017 at 23:00, lunator said:

Looking very good :)

Thinking of a Tiger shed as a base for my obs when I am ready.

Cheers

Ian

I'm pretty impressed with them. It took a while to arrive as made to order but they're well made, have thicker bracing than most and both roof and floor are tongue and groove shiplap rather than OSB. I paid an extra £10 for no windows but that's balanced against the £50 you'd need to spend to get the toughened glass and beading for the windows to make them secure.

For info I got most of my materials from the following places:

https://www.metals4u.co.uk/ - aluminium angle

http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/ - threaded rod and nuts

Amazon.co.uk - bits and bobs, sealant, lock, floor mats, screws, tools, brackets, castors

http://www.tigersheds.com/ - shed

Wickes.co.uk - paving slabs, concrete, sharp sand etc.

travisperkins.co.uk - timber, 

11 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Looks wonderful, great job you have done there.

I like your pier base design very much, how solid is it?

Pretty solid as far as I can tell. When screwing in the M20 nuts to the base and top there was no movement as far as I could tell. I was giving them some torque.

• 1 month later...

Managed to get out for two nights in reasonably quick succession. Polar aligned, everything hooked up, new PC working nicely (except wifi) and generally I'm pretty happy. Managed to get a couple of test shots in. Problems with focusing the RC6 so I need to take some more time there but guiding works, two instances of APT work, Atik 414 works and the new QHY163C seems nice. Spacing needs sorting on the QHY and Processing needs some work though... Bring on some more clear skies! Having an obsy makes life a LOT easier. 

M27 - Atik 414 - 19-09-2017 - 40m, 0dc - CS4.tif

M27 - QHY163C - 19-09-2017 - 40m, 0dc v3 CC2015-1-CROP.tif

• 1 month later...
On 20/08/2017 at 19:10, edjrgibbs said:

Basically, 8 7.3n hollow concrete blocks buried and filled with concrete and rebar, 4 1m M20 threaded rods set into the base, a custom pier (bought through AB&S with an NEQ6) and a customised Tiger Sheds 8x6 pent roof shed. Seems all pretty solid and i'm happy. Few things I would do differently but all in all worked well. 

nice job im going to do the same was looking at an apex but after looking at yours the pent might be easier to convert?

4 hours ago, iwols said:

nice job im going to do the same was looking at an apex but after looking at yours the pent might be easier to convert?

I went through the same dilemma but settled on the pent in the end. Less cutting and I figured it would be more stable.

• 6 months later...

Nice video and observatory.

I wished I'd done something similar for my obsy build, but it was too far progressed when I thought of it sadly!

Do you have any detailed pictures you could post showing how you did the rolling roof? I'd be interested in seeing that.

thanks

On 08/05/2018 at 21:56, Astrokev said:

Nice video and observatory.

I wished I'd done something similar for my obsy build, but it was too far progressed when I thought of it sadly!

Do you have any detailed pictures you could post showing how you did the rolling roof? I'd be interested in seeing that.

thanks

Unfortunately not. I basically built the frame, attached it to the removed rood section, put the castors on and then aligned the aluminium runners when it was put on.

Archived