Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Holiday cottages in coastal areas with dark skies in UK mainland.

Making a meter is on my list of things to do.  Unfortunately quite a long way down :)  However, assuming all goes well with the planning application perhaps it becomes a business expense and then it can move up the list quite rapidly :D

James

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can vouch for the coastline on the northern side of the Solway Firth around the Kirkcudbright/Gatehouse of Fleet area (Dumfries and Galloway). A beautiful quiet area and DARK! Lots of holiday cottages but many will booked by now.

7 hours ago, Beulah said:

From that map that Knight of Clear Skies posted, it seems that the SW coast of Pembrokeshire would be a great place for astronomers to live as it's probably got little LP and the most sunshine hours. (Marloes, anyone?)

Marloes_10A_web.jpg.d2b857a665a724d732224d4d483a7788.jpg

I spent a week in a cottage near Marloes about a month ago. Although the local LP was low I could see the LP from Milford Haven to the SE.

I think the NT run stargazing nights from the car park where the boat leaves for Skomer. Sorry can't remember the name.

There is always Astroadventures in Brdaworthy in North Devon and I guess even Eddington lodge near Kilworthy, both have telescopes that you can use. Not sure about pets though.

Owen

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

I spent a week in a cottage near Marloes about a month ago. Although the local LP was low I could see the LP from Milford Haven to the SE.

I think the NT run stargazing nights from the car park where the boat leaves for Skomer. Sorry can't remember the name.

What a shame. I recently stayed at a pal's house up from Poppit Sands further up the coast - took my 8" Dob...waste of time. I forgot that even modest holiday complexes like to be seen from space at night...  :(

Archived