Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3D printed Finderscope to Guidescope Conversion Kit

Stub Mandrel

If you want to convert a Skywatcher 9x50 finderscope into a guidescope for use with ZWO cameras, you can use the STL files here. There is the double threaded scope to T-mount adaptor and a very solid dovetailed scope holder (that needs 6xM6 nylon screws to finish). Use a 0.1mm or less layer height to get well-formed threads:

http://www.stubmandrel.co.uk/workshop/153-3d-printed-50mm-finder-to-guidescope-adaptor

The page includes basic advice on printer settings.

Guidescope_Bracket.jpg

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

good one...

i took a slightly different approach... i've got 3 8mm grubscrews at 120 degrees in each bracket. just need to find some 1mmx10mm wide spring steel to make compression rings for the grubscrews to act on. attaches directly to my tube (when i can be bothered drilling it). the camera end has practically no movement and the front allows 1, maybe 2 degrees of adjustment. can't see me needing any more than that.

IMG_20170821_200821_zpslmhvefyd.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 19/08/2017 at 22:27, Stub Mandrel said:

If you want to convert a Skywatcher 9x50 finderscope into a guidescope for use with ZWO cameras, you can use the STL files here. There is the double threaded scope to T-mount adaptor and a very solid dovetailed scope holder (that needs 6xM6 nylon screws to finish). Use a 0.1mm or less layer height to get well-formed threads:

http://www.stubmandrel.co.uk/workshop/153-3d-printed-50mm-finder-to-guidescope-adaptor

The page includes basic advice on printer settings.

Guidescope_Bracket.jpg

Hey @Stub Mandrel - I’m currently wrestling with a similar design myself. 

Do you happen to remember what the thread size on the Finderscope is?  I’m currently just doing a bit of suck it and see - I’m guessing 52mm diameter, pitch 0.8 as my 51mm I just printed was too small and pitch was off

Edited by wormix

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2020 at 16:53, wormix said:

Hey @Stub Mandrel - I’m currently wrestling with a similar design myself. 

Do you happen to remember what the thread size on the Finderscope is?  I’m currently just doing a bit of suck it and see - I’m guessing 52mm diameter, pitch 0.8 as my 51mm I just printed was too small and pitch was off

I had completely forgotten that!

I think that the thread is 0.7mm pitch as it appears to be the same as the T-thread.

If 0.7 doesn't fit, try making it 0.2mm undersize on diameter - or cropping the crest of the thread by that amount..

Its M51x0.75, but you'll need to adjust up and down in OD until you get a nice fit as FDM type printers are pretty variable in terms of printed dimensions vs cad dimensions, and you need to print at 0.1mm layers or less, it also helps not having complete 360 threads.

On 18/08/2020 at 12:26, John78 said:

Its M51x0.75, but you'll need to adjust up and down in OD until you get a nice fit as FDM type printers are pretty variable in terms of printed dimensions vs cad dimensions, and you need to print at 0.1mm layers or less, it also helps not having complete 360 threads.

Found the sweet spot after lots of trial and error.  For my printer and materials, 50.75mm x0.75 and 25.5mm x 0.75 worked

• Like 1