SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser Messier 10" Dob - Got One?

I've been dithering over 'scope no.3 for months, and so far had lots of advice from our members - thanks!

Started off considering a giant SCT (since I like the 8SE), but the cost is prohibitive, apart from many other issues.  So a different type to my Cat and Frac is the target i.e. a Dob.  S/W, OO, Bresser, etc., and what size? 

Working on the adage that a worthwhile 'scope is one that you'll actually use, I think I've settled on a 10", and I now tend towards the Bresser.  Apart from its parameters, I also like the look of it.

Relatively small and light, sensible price, f/5 (so coma corrector not vital), 1270mm FL (so widefield views at a sensible exit pupil), about 56% more light gathering than the 8SE, solid tube, hex focuser.

So fellow SGL-ers, have any of you any experience of this 'scope?  Performance, ease of use, action, etc.?  Any words of encouragement - or the opposite! - would be very welcome.  A final decision is still some way off, I feel!

Thanks,

Doug.

I only heard good things about the bresser dob slightly better quality than the sw by all accounts as in fit and finish but with the advantage they come with tube rings so with the addition of a dovetail you can also mount them on a eq mount might be useful?.I believe they are slightly more than the sw but they do look good.Ive also heard good things about their fracs.

I've not used a Bresser newtonian or their dobs but I've owned one of the Bresser refractors and that was pretty good.

The mount of the Bresser dob looks a good design with large altitude bearings and I reckon the focal ratio of F/5 might just that little bit easier to deal with than the F/4.7 of the Skywatcher 10".

10" certainly seems to be a "sweet spot" in dobs. There was a poll on here a few years ago and the 10" dob came in 1st as the most popular and useful overall scope for visual observers.

58 minutes ago, triton1 said:

I only heard good things about the bresser dob slightly better quality than the sw by all accounts as in fit and finish but with the advantage they come with tube rings so with the addition of a dovetail you can also mount them on a eq mount might be useful?.I believe they are slightly more than the sw but they do look good.Ive also heard good things about their fracs.

Thanks Jonn.  Yes, I do like their appearance, and the price is still very good compared with others I have considered!

Doug.

50 minutes ago, John said:

I've not used a Bresser newtonian or their dobs but I've owned one of the Bresser refractors and that was pretty good.

The mount of the Bresser dob looks a good design with large altitude bearings and I reckon the focal ratio of F/5 might just that little bit easier to deal with than the F/4.7 of the Skywatcher 10".

10" certainly seems to be a "sweet spot" in dobs. There was a poll on here a few years ago and the 10" dob came in 1st as the most popular and useful overall scope for visual observers.

Thanks John.  Yes, the alt wheels/bearings do look good.  As you know, I was seriously considering a 12", but 10" will be much more manageable!

Doug.

As you will have seen I've had the 8" for a couple of years now. In terms of weight I would say that the 8" is something that I can carry in one piece but for the sake of my back should probably carry in two. The 10" will be a bit heavier and so I would assume that you would have to carry it as two parts. This shouldn't be much of an issue though as the alt bearings double up as decent handles and reattaching the two parts is easy, the bearings just sit on the rocker box and all you have to do is check that the guides/friction brakes sit inside the box. The large bearings also do a good job of handling the weight changes when switching between eyepieces, so far I haven't had to add counterweights, just to shift the tube to the right place in the rings. 

Optically the mirrors seem decent but I am hardly an expert on such matters. I did improve things by adding a baffle on top of the mirror clips to prevent stray reflections from the mirror edge. This is something that will affect all mass produced Chinese mirrors and having seen the difference it makes it is something I would do to improve any in baffled Newtonian. 

The full list of modifications I have made are (although these may not all apply to the 10"):

• Fit Synta shoe to OTA for RACI finder
  • Fit dob knob to OTA
  • Replace eyepiece clamps with Baader clicklocks 
  • Fit baffle in front of mirror
  • Flock OTA
  • Increase height of rocker box to allow OTA to slide further back in rings
  • Fit rear mounted primary mirror fan

Archived