Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

gnomus

Cygnus Wall in SHO (Hubble Palette)

The summer has proven challenging weather-wise here in the UK.  The original plan was for 5 hours each of SII, Ha and OIII on this object.  I got pretty close to completion last night before the clouds rolled in.  I have decided to call it therefore, even though I am still 4 subs short of target.  This is my Esprit 120, with QSI 690 atop a Mesu 200 in my home observatory.   

Data captured between 27 May and 19 August 2017 and consists of:

• Ha: 18x1200"
  • OIII: 13x1200"
  • SII: 13x1200"

For a total of 14.7 hours

Data was then brutalised using PI and PS.

Cygnus_Wall_FINx1920.thumb.jpg.98c9283c63ece655816fbf7e2b9a915d.jpg 

Edited by gnomus
  • Like 19

Great image. I like the way you framed the contrasting clouds, with the black clouds looming over the bright Wall. You could experiment with making the orange in the Wall a bit brighter, to enhance the effect even more. Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great image. I like the way you framed the contrasting clouds, with the black clouds looming over the bright Wall. You could experiment with making the orange in the Wall a bit brighter, to enhance the effect even more. Just a thought.

Thanks Wim.  It is very interesting to hear folks' different perspectives.  In fact, I originally had an even more 'insipid' version than the one posted.  It was @MrsGnomus who persuaded me to amp things up a bit.  I will keep playing around with it (as I do with all of them :icon_biggrin:).  Increasingly I find myself leaning toward less contrast and less saturation.  That is probably because I am a somewhat dull , grey and wishy-washy kind of person. 

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Thanks for making me go back and look at this again, Wim.  I found quite a bit wrong with it.  Somehow I'd lost a lot of fine detail in the wispy black stuff.  And I do think that a little boost to the gold colours helps....  

02_Cygnus_FIN_FINx1920.thumb.jpg.3687ead0b22dafceb84f605f6ed362c7.jpg

I'm not a sophisticated commentator on NB images but it has the small scale finesse which comes with that turf and is entrely free from magenta star haloes and other nasties - so I think it's a winner!

Olly

• Thanks 1

Much better stars, and fine detail in the whispy black clouds. There is a delicate balance between the black 'tendrils' and light coming from the rusty clouds. But the main body of the black cloud has become a bit too solid in the second version, imo.

Sorry, if I am too critical, it is a stunning image. This is an image where I can visualise a final version, but I don't think I would be able to take it there.

• Thanks 1

No Wim, I'm pleased you made me look again.  The tendrils (and some other parts of the image) had become smeared almost as if I had run some blunderbuss noise reduction over everything.  I had done some NR but thought I had carefully masked everything, so not sure what went awry.  

Anyway, I'm much happier with V2.

Steve

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Much better stars, and fine detail in the whispy black clouds. There is a delicate balance between the black 'tendrils' and light coming from the rusty clouds. But the main body of the black cloud has become a bit too solid in the second version, imo.

Sorry, if I am too critical, it is a stunning image. This is an image where I can visualise a final version, but I don't think I would be able to take it there.

Is this what you had in mind?

03_Cygnus_FIN_FINx1920.thumb.jpg.7420ca80be873663b0612a8fbfba669a.jpg

In fact - I think I am happier with this new version.  I decided to extract a Lum layer from my SHO (RGB) image.  I could then be bolder with the colours without mucking up the star colours.  Of course the detail then comes from the separately worked on Lum layer.  

B_Cygnus_FINx1920.thumb.jpg.e4d15c03165beeff635e76f3019ad93c.jpg

• Like 6

Woah! You've really done something special there. You've achieved a perspective that makes it clear the dark areas sit in front, not behind the illuminated areas, with the stars sitting in front of these. Love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it's matter and it's dark. Therefore it is dark matter.

Beautifully done.  Actually I was going to congratulate you for your gentle touch on the saturation of the first image which I really like.  However I also like the extra detail you have extracted subsequently and you've still not gone to town with the saturation so ticks all my boxes!

• Thanks 1

Thank you Martin.  I agree about the tendency to push saturation (and other things) too far sometimes.  

lovely image Steve especially the dark clouds and the structure within them 

• Thanks 1

It has depth and the color balance is spot on.  Nice stars.

Rodd

• Thanks 1

I like the delicacy of the first and the attitude of the last. Let's keep both versions!

Olly

• Thanks 1

I like these, but can't say which I prefer as I can't see them side by side!!! By the time I've scrolled down to view the next I've forgotten what the previous one looked like :D 

30 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I can't see them side by side

I click on each of them in turn to view full size then just open in a new browser tab, toggling between the tabs to compare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I like the delicacy of the first and the attitude of the last. Let's keep both versions!

Olly

Thanks again Olly, but the first version is definitely 'soft' as a result of a NR error (I think my mask was either absent or the wrong way round).  I suppose I could try using v3 as Lum over ........  (aaaaaaarghhhhhhh) ............  hang on a bit...