Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cygnus Wall in SHO (Hubble Palette)

gnomus

The summer has proven challenging weather-wise here in the UK.  The original plan was for 5 hours each of SII, Ha and OIII on this object.  I got pretty close to completion last night before the clouds rolled in.  I have decided to call it therefore, even though I am still 4 subs short of target.  This is my Esprit 120, with QSI 690 atop a Mesu 200 in my home observatory.   

Data captured between 27 May and 19 August 2017 and consists of:

• Ha: 18x1200"
  • OIII: 13x1200"
  • SII: 13x1200"

For a total of 14.7 hours

Data was then brutalised using PI and PS.

Cygnus_Wall_FINx1920.thumb.jpg.98c9283c63ece655816fbf7e2b9a915d.jpg 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great image. I like the way you framed the contrasting clouds, with the black clouds looming over the bright Wall. You could experiment with making the orange in the Wall a bit brighter, to enhance the effect even more. Just a thought.

35 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great image. I like the way you framed the contrasting clouds, with the black clouds looming over the bright Wall. You could experiment with making the orange in the Wall a bit brighter, to enhance the effect even more. Just a thought.

Thanks Wim.  It is very interesting to hear folks' different perspectives.  In fact, I originally had an even more 'insipid' version than the one posted.  It was @MrsGnomus who persuaded me to amp things up a bit.  I will keep playing around with it (as I do with all of them :icon_biggrin:).  Increasingly I find myself leaning toward less contrast and less saturation.  That is probably because I am a somewhat dull , grey and wishy-washy kind of person. 

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Thanks for making me go back and look at this again, Wim.  I found quite a bit wrong with it.  Somehow I'd lost a lot of fine detail in the wispy black stuff.  And I do think that a little boost to the gold colours helps....  

02_Cygnus_FIN_FINx1920.thumb.jpg.3687ead0b22dafceb84f605f6ed362c7.jpg

Much better stars, and fine detail in the whispy black clouds. There is a delicate balance between the black 'tendrils' and light coming from the rusty clouds. But the main body of the black cloud has become a bit too solid in the second version, imo.

Sorry, if I am too critical, it is a stunning image. This is an image where I can visualise a final version, but I don't think I would be able to take it there.

No Wim, I'm pleased you made me look again.  The tendrils (and some other parts of the image) had become smeared almost as if I had run some blunderbuss noise reduction over everything.  I had done some NR but thought I had carefully masked everything, so not sure what went awry.  

Anyway, I'm much happier with V2.

Steve

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Much better stars, and fine detail in the whispy black clouds. There is a delicate balance between the black 'tendrils' and light coming from the rusty clouds. But the main body of the black cloud has become a bit too solid in the second version, imo.

Sorry, if I am too critical, it is a stunning image. This is an image where I can visualise a final version, but I don't think I would be able to take it there.

Is this what you had in mind?

03_Cygnus_FIN_FINx1920.thumb.jpg.7420ca80be873663b0612a8fbfba669a.jpg

In fact - I think I am happier with this new version.  I decided to extract a Lum layer from my SHO (RGB) image.  I could then be bolder with the colours without mucking up the star colours.  Of course the detail then comes from the separately worked on Lum layer.  

B_Cygnus_FINx1920.thumb.jpg.e4d15c03165beeff635e76f3019ad93c.jpg

Woah! You've really done something special there. You've achieved a perspective that makes it clear the dark areas sit in front, not behind the illuminated areas, with the stars sitting in front of these. Love it.

Beautifully done.  Actually I was going to congratulate you for your gentle touch on the saturation of the first image which I really like.  However I also like the extra detail you have extracted subsequently and you've still not gone to town with the saturation so ticks all my boxes!

30 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I can't see them side by side

I click on each of them in turn to view full size then just open in a new browser tab, toggling between the tabs to compare.

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I like the delicacy of the first and the attitude of the last. Let's keep both versions!

Olly

Thanks again Olly, but the first version is definitely 'soft' as a result of a NR error (I think my mask was either absent or the wrong way round).  I suppose I could try using v3 as Lum over ........  (aaaaaaarghhhhhhh) ............  hang on a bit...

Archived