SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

History of eyepieces

jambouk

Following a talk last night on the use of colour filters in observational astronomy by Alan Heath at my local society, I looked for something on the history of eyepieces. I found this comprehensive document which does a pretty good job [and a detailed one] of working through the different groups of eyepieces there have been in the last hundred years or so. It's quite long, and there are lots of equations and the like, but these can be skipped over. I simply found this on the internet, I cannot take any credit for it.

http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/BOOKS/EVOLUTIONofEYEPIECES.pdf

James

Yes, I've read that document more than a couple of times, despite some typos, it gives a very comprehensive description of eyepiece development, and more, such as checking aberrations in eyepieces, possible improvement of SAEP in eyepieces etc.

A very useful document thanks for the link. I had a quick skim and the section on initial of testing eyepieces during the day was very interesting, I might compare my existing eyepice set later on using this method.

Archived