SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Off to Elan....

estwing

I have only just seen this thread !!!!! Been back  a couple of hours now..... cheers for the weekend end guys, this place gives fantastic views of the Milky Way. Even Terrence and Philip came out to play ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, estwing said:

I say a blank but it was broken cloud for about 30 mins on Saturday night ...just enough for Shaun (Pig) to see M13 and M31 naked eye . I hate Elan, it's such a tease at times,especially when you know it's the best dark sky south of Scotland...but when it's got it's claws in you it won't let go...and that's why I love it

that's a bold statement i agree to disagree :evil6:

Sorry to hear the skies didn't give up their treasures. Missed the laughs guys I'm sure there were plenty :thumbright:

Was broken cloud last night here with rain showers. No good for anything.

I'm ready for next month and also hoping next weekend will be clear. 

2 hours ago, estwing said:

Nice Iain...it's put me back into the groove tho so not a waste of time!...plus meeting up with old friends is always a pleasure after the summer drought of observing 

Yes just having the scope set up and collimated and being back into the routine, though I was not with friends, just sipping coffee and being in a tranquil place in the countryside was strangely calming and enjoyable after a lengthy period not being out at night. Its all about the trying really, to make the most isn't it, next time it will pay off. 

Peter,  I am not sure about the readings but by the using my eyes as the guide what I saw was outstanding, and by the rest of the guys accounts what I saw was poor compared to good seeing !!!  ?

21.3 from south of the Watford gap is quite good, (not far enough away) towns will affect lowdown objects (I assume, the clouds didn't really permit much low-down stuff. If I have a long distance "dark sky" trip where should I go.... Wales, Galloway, Cornwall, Skye, Kielder?

PeterW

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

21.3 from south of the Watford gap is quite good, (not far enough away) towns will affect lowdown objects (I assume, the clouds didn't really permit much low-down stuff. If I have a long distance "dark sky" trip where should I go.... Wales, Galloway, Cornwall, Skye, Kielder?

PeterW

All of them sound pretty good ? I guess the weather forecast will be the greatest factor, we just don't know what's going to happen and when.

Archived