Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

estwing

Off to Elan....

the Dobmob are off on tour as the observing season begins for us....and guess what...there's a Frac packer with us!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My goodness! You are entertaining one who does not worship at the alter of aperture...........

Hope that the clouds stay away.

Have fun and keep posting!

Paul

5 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

entertaining

the mob are known for their "entertaining"

• Like 1

I didn't know the pie muncher (@mapstar) had purchased a refractor :dontknow:

Hope you all have a good time and clear skies

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Forecast not looking good at the moment. You might get some gaps in the clouds...but then night cloud forecasts are nearly always wrong in these parts... :D

Thunder storms today; that'll clear the air nicely. *Fist pumps*

Might be out and about myself....

Edited by Beulah
  • Like 2

Ill be scared to whip out my frac in a field full of gaint dobs that can do go deeper ????

• Like 2

Where do you go in the Elan Valley as I guess there is no camping in the dark sky reserve?

Owen

8 hours ago, Starlight 1 said:

Some of the best nights seeing is after a good storm.

You could use those Dobs as Cloudbusters...

WilhelmReichcloudbuster2.jpgWilhelmReichcloudbuster2.jpg

• Haha 1

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:44, obrazell said:

Where do you go in the Elan Valley as I guess there is no camping in the dark sky reserve?

Owen

who said anything about camping ? 

• Like 2

Unfortunately I didn't make one for the trip and the only refractor I will ever own will be sat at the top of the dob :icon_biggrin:

Hope you lads got some clear skies and looking forward to those in depth reports :thumbright:

• Like 2

On 8/18/2017 at 17:44, obrazell said:

Owen

Camping is not permitted in the Elan Valley - the location the Dob Mob go to is well off the Elan Estate boundary and it's a heckuva effort to get there. Hats off to them! :) There are a few campsites nearby...a couple of bothies and several cheap holiday cottages with some fab observing spots just outside the door...

Edited by Beulah
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Beulah said:

Camping is not permitted in the Elan Valley - the location the Dob Mob go to is well off the Elan Estate boundary and it's a heckuva effort to get there. Hats off to them! :) There are a few campsites nearby...a couple of bothies and several cheap holiday cottages with some fab observing spots just outside the door...

sam knows , yes we are back :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

that old quiz show with Terry Wogan.....Blankety Blank....:hmh:...oh well, always next month!

• Sad 3

I'm sorry to read that sir.. there were some gaps in the clouds around 10:30pm (around 30% at some point) and I was seriously thinking about going out...at least you had some blissful peace and quiet.

Roll on next month.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you didn't get a break in the weather! Was camping down in Ballinskelligs in the Dark Sky Reserve here - cloudy with broken patches on Fri night - the Milky Way was incredible when the skies clear for a period.  Andromeda was big and obvious naked eye, elongated in one axis. The Veil was stunning in my 31T5 + O-III in my 15".

Got to see a fantastic 20" f5 Obsession and the sound owner generously sharing the views through the EP :headbang:

Unfortunately clouded out on Sat night... :clouds1:

Oh well, it's a beautiful spot, nice group of people at the Skellig Star Party, had a few beers and got a day down on the beach on Sat with the kids.

IMG_20170819_091424049_HDR.thumb.jpg.1445f9884510242a9055b170cbcdaf0c.jpg

Edited by niallk
  • Like 5

I say a blank but it was broken cloud for about 30 mins on Saturday night ...just enough for Shaun (Pig) to see M13 and M31 naked eye . I hate Elan, it's such a tease at times,especially when you know it's the best dark sky south of Scotland...but when it's got it's claws in you it won't let go...and that's why I love it

• Like 5

Yep also sorry to hear that, probably was the start of the season for many heading to dark sky locations. Saturday I headed to a new location further north in Northumberland and eager to gain some SQM-L readings, too open to the wind so I headed instead to a familiar more sheltered spot. Looked promising until night fell and blanket cloud rolled in, what a pain. 

so yeah blankety blank here to. This is my potential lovely new observing location, perhaps.

P1070583.JPG

• Like 6

Nice Iain...it's put me back into the groove tho so not a waste of time!...plus meeting up with old friends is always a pleasure after the summer drought of observing 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, estwing said:

...but when it's got it's claws in you it won't let go...and that's why I love it

You have the place sussed. :wub:

• Like 1

The peace and serenity of the place Sam is also a great lure

• Like 3