Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Off to Elan....

estwing

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forecast not looking good at the moment. You might get some gaps in the clouds...but then night cloud forecasts are nearly always wrong in these parts... :D

Thunder storms today; that'll clear the air nicely. *Fist pumps*

Might be out and about myself....

Unfortunately I didn't make one for the trip and the only refractor I will ever own will be sat at the top of the dob :icon_biggrin:

Hope you lads got some clear skies and looking forward to those in depth reports :thumbright:

On 8/18/2017 at 17:44, obrazell said:

Where do you go in the Elan Valley as I guess there is no camping in the dark sky reserve?

Owen

Camping is not permitted in the Elan Valley - the location the Dob Mob go to is well off the Elan Estate boundary and it's a heckuva effort to get there. Hats off to them! :) There are a few campsites nearby...a couple of bothies and several cheap holiday cottages with some fab observing spots just outside the door...

7 hours ago, Beulah said:

Camping is not permitted in the Elan Valley - the location the Dob Mob go to is well off the Elan Estate boundary and it's a heckuva effort to get there. Hats off to them! :) There are a few campsites nearby...a couple of bothies and several cheap holiday cottages with some fab observing spots just outside the door...

sam knows , yes we are back :icon_biggrin:

I'm sorry to read that sir.. there were some gaps in the clouds around 10:30pm (around 30% at some point) and I was seriously thinking about going out...at least you had some blissful peace and quiet.

Roll on next month.

Sorry to hear you didn't get a break in the weather! Was camping down in Ballinskelligs in the Dark Sky Reserve here - cloudy with broken patches on Fri night - the Milky Way was incredible when the skies clear for a period.  Andromeda was big and obvious naked eye, elongated in one axis. The Veil was stunning in my 31T5 + O-III in my 15".

Got to see a fantastic 20" f5 Obsession and the sound owner generously sharing the views through the EP :headbang:

Unfortunately clouded out on Sat night... :clouds1:

Oh well, it's a beautiful spot, nice group of people at the Skellig Star Party, had a few beers and got a day down on the beach on Sat with the kids.

IMG_20170819_091424049_HDR.thumb.jpg.1445f9884510242a9055b170cbcdaf0c.jpg

I say a blank but it was broken cloud for about 30 mins on Saturday night ...just enough for Shaun (Pig) to see M13 and M31 naked eye . I hate Elan, it's such a tease at times,especially when you know it's the best dark sky south of Scotland...but when it's got it's claws in you it won't let go...and that's why I love it

Yep also sorry to hear that, probably was the start of the season for many heading to dark sky locations. Saturday I headed to a new location further north in Northumberland and eager to gain some SQM-L readings, too open to the wind so I headed instead to a familiar more sheltered spot. Looked promising until night fell and blanket cloud rolled in, what a pain. 

so yeah blankety blank here to. This is my potential lovely new observing location, perhaps.

P1070583.JPG

Archived