Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Roll off roof observatory ideas

HunterHarling

Hi all,

Because of some help from a few people on this forum, I have decided to modify a garden shed to roll off roof. However, I don't know which one to modify!

I am looking for a 6x8 foot shed that is less than 6 feet high. I also have extreme heat here, it has hit 113F last year, so any thoughts on how to keep it cool would be welcome:happy7:

Pick the biggest one, Hunter.

I keep my shop cool by having a roof vent in the peak. Not that it really cools it all that much, but it let's the rising hot air out.

It also keeps it dry. Which is more important to my equipment.

Otherwise, check the temperature extremes for your equipment.  If the shed will exceed those by much, might want to consider cooling. Or bringing your sensitive parts indoors.

But when you roll off the roof, the heat will whoosh out the opening. :wink:

Hi Hunter.

That question is quite general, and difficult to answer simply. Have you tried browsing through the ROR builds on this forum to see how other folks have done this?

I'd suggest this as a good starting point, then post specific questions about details if necessary.

From my general meanderings on this and other forums, the consensus appears to be to over-engineer everything.  

As to the heat issue, here in blighty I am a Building Surveyor and have seen a number of roofs with "warm construction", ie the insulation is above the deck with a cover over. This helps to prevent heat building up in the structure but again, over-engineer it: if you think 50mm is enough, double it and then consider adding half again. You will be surprised how cool a space can be when the heat is kept out, think thick walls of a mediaeval castles (as an example, not a suggestion).

Insulation will of course help, but you must make sure you leave some air gap behind it if it is a dense type such as Celeotx, and preferably a vapour barrier, or you could end up with all sorts of condensation and mould issues.

Also consider the fact that in extreme heat it will still get very warm inside, and this will not disperse as easily because of the insulation, so you may want to consider cross flow ventilation (or even forced air such as a Ventaxia), which may seem a little counter productive, but it will help provide a more stable environment overall.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/08/2017 at 19:39, HunterHarling said:

Hi all,

Because of some help from a few people on this forum, I have decided to modify a garden shed to roll off roof. However, I don't know which one to modify!

I am looking for a 6x8 foot shed that is less than 6 feet high. I also have extreme heat here, it has hit 113F last year, so any thoughts on how to keep it cool would be welcome:happy7:

I would go for a custom build. This way you can ensure that they reinforce the wall joists so the roof is stable when retracted. 

On 25/08/2017 at 18:37, RayD said:

Insulation will of course help, but you must make sure you leave some air gap behind it if it is a dense type such as Celeotx, and preferably a vapour barrier, or you could end up with all sorts of condensation and mould issues.

Also consider the fact that in extreme heat it will still get very warm inside, and this will not disperse as easily because of the insulation, so you may want to consider cross flow ventilation (or even forced air such as a Ventaxia), which may seem a little counter productive, but it will help provide a more stable environment overall.

Question for you (as you seem to know about this stuff!) Is there any reason not to use plasterboard (in the warm room, with insulation + vapour barrier) - it's a LOT cheaper than ply.

1 hour ago, Shibby said:

Question for you (as you seem to know about this stuff!) Is there any reason not to use plasterboard (in the warm room, with insulation + vapour barrier) - it's a LOT cheaper than ply.

Nope, absolutely none at all.  Ply just generally adds to the rigidity of a shed (obsy), and of course you can screw stuff in to it easier, but in the warm room, not subject to damp etc. then I'd say it's a pretty good cost saver.

47 minutes ago, RayD said:

Nope, absolutely none at all.  Ply just generally adds to the rigidity of a shed (obsy), and of course you can screw stuff in to it easier, but in the warm room, not subject to damp etc. then I'd say it's a pretty good cost saver.

This made me smile, you said no reason at all and then gave three really good reasons not to use it.

Ply is expensive, I use OSB2 and paint it with garden shades paint, its cheap and will do just as good a job, just not so pretty as ply.

22 minutes ago, Adam J said:

This made me smile, you said no reason at all and then gave three really good reasons not to use it

Yes I suppose it could have sounded a bit funny.  That wasn't my intention, I tried to give reasons why ply is used (I have used it), not why plasterboard isn't. If the room is dry and has a vapour barrier then plasterboard should be fine.  Many summer house/office rooms are plasterboard lined.

12 hours ago, RayD said:

If the room is dry and has a vapour barrier then plasterboard should be fine.

Thanks very much for the advice! I already have the vapour barrier, plan to insulate all around and have a dehumidifier.

14 hours ago, Adam J said:

Ply is expensive, I use OSB2 and paint it with garden shades paint, its cheap and will do just as good a job, just not so pretty as ply.

Even OSB seems expensive when compared to the plasterboard (2 - 3x the price). I suppose you're getting added water resistance just in case...

Archived