Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick Andromeda Galaxy

The-MathMog

I got a new telescope a few weeks ago, a Skywatcher 150P-DS, and I've just had it out yesterday, as the danish summer has been absolutely horrendous.. But it's only just now, that the astro-dark nights are returning again anyway. And what better easy target to test it out on, than the Andromeda Galaxy? :D But there were only like a total of 2-3 cloudless hours yesterday, so I only managed to get 26.5 minutes of 30 second subs, as I was also observing and getting used to the new scope.
The focus is a slight bit off, as I've still to make a bahtinov mask that fits this one, and I can see that I really do need to get my hands on a coma-corrector. I am currently looking at the Explore Scientific HR Coma Corrector. People have recommended the Baader Mark-III MPCC, but some have also complained about it introducing spherical aberration?

Other than those issues, I am very pleased with the quality of this scope and how easy it was to produce these images. Just the fact that the DSLR can actually reach prime-focus, without the use of a barlow-lens or something similar, is just a big plus compared to what I've had to deal with!  I'll give it some longer tests when the next dark, cloudless nights hits, which might be a while! :p
The field of view of the 150P-DS is a bit too small for something like M32, so I might make a 2-pane mosaic sometime.

Skywatcher 150P-DS
Celestron AVX
Nikon D5200
Integration Time - 26.5 minutes
53 subs - 30 seconds each
Manually Stacked and Processed in Photoshop CS2

large.Processing-Andromeda.png.8c7660e0f

Nice first catch!

I use the baader cc with my 150pds, and it works fine. I also found that it takes the focus a bit further out.

A Bahtinov mask is a good investment. If you make your own, try to make the edges as clean as possible; it will improve the diffraction spikes.

A motorised focuser is also a good investment. I found that focus can shift slightly when I tighten the focus lock.

Have fun with your new scope!

Archived