Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

John Dobson on Making a Telescope

John Dobson passed away in January 2014. He originated and promoted a simple to build mounting for large aperture newtonians which have become known as dobsonians and have since provided the means for amateurs such as myself to peer deeper into the Universe than they might otherwise have been able to do.

I came across this movie which is around 90 minutes hours long and gives an in depth look at John's approach to creating a telescope plus some of his thinking on the Universe and astronomy. It's quite quirky in places but I enjoyed it :icon_biggrin:

What a man! I'm watching this documentary right now.. :) 

Thank you John for sharing this.

-------

Could someone explain me what he means at 32.28 when he says "In this class there is no bubu that can be followed by a life of sorrow", please?  

:icon_scratch:  I've never heard this idiom.. 

Does it mean that whatever mistake one makes [in mirror making], there is always a remedy / way around [e.g. doing it again with another mirror]? 

17 minutes ago, Piero said:

What a man! I'm watching this documentary right now.. :) 

Thank you John for sharing this.

-------

Could someone explain me what he means at 32.28 when he says "In this class there is no bubu that can be followed by a life of sorrow", please?  

:icon_scratch: :icon_biggrin:

A boo boo is a term for a minor injury that you might use when talking to a small child. What he is saying is not to worry about making mistakes. 

1 minute ago, Ricochet said:

A boo boo is a term for a minor injury that you might use when talking to a small child. What he is saying is not to worry about making mistakes. 

oh okay, now I got a contest when this can be used. Thanks a lot! :) 

I'm glad folks are enjoying this :icon_biggrin:

One of my favourite parts is where they just chuck the mirror blank onto the grass before they check it's focal length and then follow that with the simple method of wetting the surface of the blank to get a reflection that can be bought to focus - initially 9 feet away !

A real "one off" I reckon but a fascinating guy :icon_biggrin:

Archived