Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.


Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I think I'm done with this target this season at least.

I acquired 2x6h of Ha data with a Canon 300 F4 L lens (~300mm FL F/4), maybe 2x4-5h of O3 data with the a Tair 3s (300mm FL F/4.5), another 2-3h of Ha with a Pentacon 200 (200mm FL F/4), 3h of O3 with the Pentacon, 4h of S2 with the Pentacon and 3x25m (3 panels) for each RGB with the Tair. All narrowband subs were 300s long and the RGB were 60s long if I remember well. All at unity gain, cooled between -10C and -15C.

Shot from the balcony under white light pollution.

I made a narrowband combination with the Ha and just a bit from the others used as lum and 40S-60Ha as red, O3 as green and 30Ha-70O3 as blue. Combined in StarTools and GIMP.

Software used: APT, PHD, DSS, StarTools, GIMP, Registar.

The RGB and narrowband images don't cover the same area perfectly so some stars in the left side are a little more bloated as I couldn't control them.

Links for better resolution:

Should I make the them brighter? Any opinions are welcomed.

Thanks for watching, clear skies!




  • Like 14

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this..... the colours are subtle and soft and the processing looks good .... such a great pair of targets when imaged together like this :) 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Sara, Richard!

If anything, I pulled the curve a little above, maybe the faint signal stands out a little better and I don't feel like I need more noise reduction. I don't usually like heavy noise reduction. I don't want either to process it tens of times and spam the topic with reprocesses. I shall stop here if no other advice given.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very delicate and understated processing that brings out the best in the image and target. To my knowledge this is the first image I've seen from you Alex, and I'm a big fan already!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks, John!

You can also check my gallery where I have other images too. My processing got better in time, I should reprocess some of my old data. However, I think this one is my second favorite.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one beautiful image.  Superbly executed and processed.  Well done Alex!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent images - I particular like the shade of red and your processing style, which seems to give it an impressive 3D effect.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Alan!

I just filled the acquisition details on the astrobin image. Even this took me more than 10 minutes and I did not entered all the nights for the RGB channel, I put them only in one night. Even this, 18 nights :shocked:


Edited by moise212

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By pc387
      Here's my effort from 2 nights ago under an increasingly rare clear and moonless night
      1hr each of HA:OIII;SII using a  Skywatcher esprit ED80 and ATIK 460 camera. 
    • By harshit8
      Second attempt at astrophotography with my canon 1300D untracked (first was orion ). Shot under dark skies of himachal pradesh (India). 
      Stacking done in DSS and processing in Gimp.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated. especially regarding the trees at the bottom.
      Total exposure time - 20*20 seconds
      Shot with - Canon EOS 1300D (untracked) (unmodded)
      Flats and Biased frames included

    • By MalVeauX
      Hello from Florida, 👋
      I wasn't able to image the 4th and final day as AR2729 rounded the limb due to work, but I was able to latch on for three days while it had lovely visible umbra. This is spanning December 5th, 6th and 7th. Imaged in 6562.8A wavelength.


      Captured with:
      Celestron 150mm F8 Refractor (CR150HD)
      Daystar 150mm ERF
      Daystar Quark Chromosphere
      ASI174MM Camera with 2" GSO 0.5x Focal Reducer
      Very best,


Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.