Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

orion25

The False Dawn is an American band on the way to the Cherokee Reservation to play a music gig under the total solar eclipse, but they find misadventures along the way, threatening to make them late for the big event. It's taken from the audio book: THE FALSE DAWN - THE ECLIPSY GIPSIES. Enjoy!

13 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ive seen posters here in Ireland for an upcoming concert by False Dawn. Cant say i heard them. Ill give them a listen.

False Dawn..........isnt that the band of an SGL member who recently posted?

That was me who posted about The False Dawn, haha. It's a different band from the one to perform in Ireland. This is my American band. Didn't know there was a U.K. band of the same name; I'll have give them a listen as well! :happy6:

Reggie

8 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I can well imagine tens of thousands of people stuck in traffic and missing it, or getting there with a vital piece of kit missing :happy8:

Alan 

I'm hitting the road to travel about 200 miles to see the event. I plan on making the traffic jam a part of the fun so I'm leaving extra early!

You think that Spain will be any cheaper and easier to get too for a total eclipse? 

You've seen what happened to hotel bookings and rates for the eclipse path - Spain will be exactly the same. There will be millions of people trying get into the path of totality. Flights will be booked up as soon as they are available, hotels will be booked up years in advanced.

Its closer, that I give you, cheaper I doubt it lol. I for one will be fighting you for the hotel rooms :) 

Ant

5 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I'm leaving this laying about for any takers - by Doc Clay Sherrod - a quite famous and respected astronomy enthusiast in the USA:

SOLAR ECLIPSE 2017 SURVIVAL GUIDE.pdf

And don't miss his website and his many excellent guides:

http://arksky.org/

Be safe all!

Dave

I'm taking. Great guide, Dave. The False Dawn and I thank you for posting this, hehe. Hitting the road in three days to get a jump start on the gridlock.:help:

I would like to have gone to the US eclipse but it would have taken 8-10 days to get there, even Spain would be a day or two traveling.

Alan

P.S. I was never born with wings so cant fly :icon_cry: or drive for that matter, so it has to be boats, buses but not trains, I am terrified of them too.

My wife, daughter, and I are traveling, as the crow flies, about 1000 kilometres (620 miles) to see the eclipse.

We will leave from north central British Columbia, Canada on Saturday morning, drive about ten hours to Seattle, Washington, and then stay Saturday night at our friends' house. On Sunday, we drive to a campsite (already booked by our friends) about 100 km (62 miles) from the centre of the eclipse zone.

The highway that we hopefully will take just reopened after being closed quite some time because of the forest fires. If it closes again (a definite possibility), the trip to Seattle will be more like eleven or twelve hours.

The News channels here are peppered with the controversial scalping going on.

Huge price jumps! Best wishes to those traveling. Please be careful, and Patience all.

The wife and I plan to be basking in our back yard with our Solar Eclipse cardboard souvenir glasses. Event being recorded on the DVR. Camera quietly marching along snapping up shots.

And happy I dodged the madness...

39 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Have a great & peaceful journey, Reggie & George/tribe!

I'm wondering...Could the 'eclipse-line' become the defining-line of the new & improved Mason-Dixon Line.....?

Think I'll throw my TV-set out the window now...

Dave

But Dave... How will you watch all the "I Love Lucy" reruns with a busted TV???

I'd not noticed that Spanish eclipse. I think Mallorca will be booked up quite early even though it doesn't have the best circumstances. Towards the Balearics the sun is quite low at totality.

Maybe one for the cruise ships? 

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2026_GoogleMapFull.html?Lat=53.87844&Lng=-2.94434&Zoom=5&LC=1

4 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Have a great & peaceful journey, Reggie & George/tribe!

I'm wondering...Could the 'eclipse-line' become the defining-line of the new & improved Mason-Dixon Line.....?

Think I'll throw my TV-set out the window now...

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Interesting conjecture about the eclipse line; who knows?  Chuck that ol' TV. You won't be missing much, just the latest "Trump"eting...

4 hours ago, SonnyE said:

The News channels here are peppered with the controversial scalping going on.

Huge price jumps! Best wishes to those traveling. Please be careful, and Patience all.

The wife and I plan to be basking in our back yard with our Solar Eclipse cardboard souvenir glasses. Event being recorded on the DVR. Camera quietly marching along snapping up shots.

And happy I dodged the madness...

Cool! That's what's up! :headbang:

Reggie

4 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Thanks, Dave. Interesting conjecture about the eclipse line; who knows?  Chuck that ol' TV. You won't be missing much, just the latest "Trump"eting...

Oh, I'd never chuck the TV.

That's what babysits the wife.... :wink:

5 hours ago, George Jones said:

My wife, daughter, and I are traveling, as the crow flies, about 1000 kilometres (620 miles) to see the eclipse.

We will leave from north central British Columbia, Canada on Saturday morning, drive about ten hours to Seattle, Washington, and then stay Saturday night at our friends' house. On Sunday, we drive to a campsite (already booked by our friends) about 100 km (62 miles) from the centre of the eclipse zone.

The highway that we hopefully will take just reopened after being closed quite some time because of the forest fires. If it closes again (a definite possibility), the trip to Seattle will be more like eleven or twelve hours.

Safe journey, George and family. I'll be hitting the road early Sunday morning for Cherokee, N.C. There's going to be a Cherokee Cultural Eclipse Celebration on Sunday and Monday. I can't wait!

Regards,

Reggie

8 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I would like to have gone to the US eclipse but it would have taken 8-10 days to get there, even Spain would be a day or two traveling.

Alan

P.S. I was never born with wings so cant fly :icon_cry: or drive for that matter, so it has to be boats, buses but not trains, I am terrified of them too.

You needn't worry; you know there will be tons of images and video. This will probably be the most photographed total solar eclipse to date (at least for the U.S.). I plan to get some shots myself.

Reggie

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

You needn't worry; you know there will be tons of images and video. This will probably be the most photographed total solar eclipse to date (at least for the U.S.). I plan to get some shots myself.

Reggie

Get some 'shots' eh? I'll take some, too - Jack Daniel's here!

I've never thrown a TV-set out a window before. But I've shot 3 of 'em before. Two of which I now have doing duty as end-tables outdoors on my deck! Guess I'm just another mad artist at heart...

The 3rd. one I hauled down to a local park - and stuck it's plug into an oak tree. Under cover of darkness, of course. :p

Have a Great Eclipse!

Dave - Under the path of the 2024 one.

20 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Get some 'shots' eh? I'll take some, too - Jack Daniel's here!

I've never thrown a TV-set out a window before. But I've shot 3 of 'em before. Two of which I now have doing duty as end-tables outdoors on my deck! Guess I'm just another mad artist at heart...

The 3rd. one I hauled down to a local park - and stuck it's plug into an oak tree. Under cover of darkness, of course. :p

Have a Great Eclipse!

Dave - Under the path of the 2024 one.

Man, you and TV sets have a wild history :happy7: Thanks for the well wishes. Soon, I will be off!

Archived