SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best present ever!

Mr niall

My wife owns a bespoke stationery company, I've been nagging for months and months for an observation diary (I'm forbidden from purchasing anything stationery related...) so I not-so-subtly printed off a pile of blank observation logs and dumped them on my wife's desk last week. Got the finished product today. It's ace! My youngest designed the front cover, although he was annoyed his new silver pen didn't really come off in the scanning onto vinyl / lamination process (he tried to explain but it means nothing to me!) You can clearly see that I am so interested in looking through my telescope that I haven't noticed an alien space ship has landed behind me and an alien is creeping towards me... it's unclear what his intentions are but I'm assured they involve some sort of prank rather than a good probing.

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

That's a great present! Keeping track of your observations regularly, especially in the beginning, can really help you improve your observing skills, knowledge of the sky and equipment. Well done! 

55 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Yes logging is a very good idea, i found this last time out and first time with Goto, after the session i forgot a lot of what i viewed

I just add them to the signature section ... starting to look like a phone book now though :help:

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I missed this one !

Excellent, I like it, brill, and top job on the "not-so-subtly" skills as well  :)

Learn a lesson from me, about 60y ago I observed a double star, both in a book where I saw its orbit described and in the sky with a new scope,,, thinking "in a few years time I'll see if I can see any change". Ha! not only can I not find my notes, I cant even remember which one it was :(  Probably at least 1/2 a rev by now ?

So, do as I say, not as I did  and put it to good use lol! here endeth today's pontification ;):D

2 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

Oh I missed this one !

Excellent, I like it, brill, and top job on the "not-so-subtly" skills as well  :)

Learn a lesson from me, about 60y ago I observed a double star, both in a book where I saw its orbit described and in the sky with a new scope,,, thinking "in a few years time I'll see if I can see any change". Ha! not only can I not find my notes, I cant even remember which one it was :(  Probably at least 1/2 a rev by now ?

So, do as I say, not as I did  and put it to good use lol! here endeth today's pontification ;):D

Ha ha thankyou (I thought it was excellently subtle :wink:) - yes I've put it to good use already, keeping notes has made a massive difference to my enjoyment, and I'm really smitten with the pic so I'll definitely make sure I hang on to it!

On 8/16/2017 at 21:30, Mr niall said:

My wife owns a bespoke stationery company, I've been nagging for months and months for an observation diary (I'm forbidden from purchasing anything stationery related...) so I not-so-subtly printed off a pile of blank observation logs and dumped them on my wife's desk last week. Got the finished product today. It's ace! My youngest designed the front cover, although he was annoyed his new silver pen didn't really come off in the scanning onto vinyl / lamination process (he tried to explain but it means nothing to me!) You can clearly see that I am so interested in looking through my telescope that I haven't noticed an alien space ship has landed behind me and an alien is creeping towards me... it's unclear what his intentions are but I'm assured they involve some sort of prank rather than a good probing.

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

I'll put a sound track to your front cover. Seems appropriate.

Look through my Telescope

Archived