Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
alynwallace

Light Pollution Filter for wide angle nebulosity boost

Hi guys,

Bit of a lurker here but time for a first post as I've scoured every corner of the internet and cannot find the exact info I'm after.

My style of shooting is more landscape astrophotography over deep space and I really want to be able to photograph Orion using a wide angle lens (eg. Samyang 24mm) on either a Canon 6D or a Sony A7SII and pick up the nebulosity.

I have a tracking mount (Star Adventurer Mini) and am familiar with stacking images. I was wondering if a light pollution filter would help my cause here as I've read they can help boost nebulosity.

Started to get my head in a twist with all the various filters and different types of nebulosity. I really don't want to modify either camera as I use them both for daytime landscape work too.

The Samyang 24mm has a 77mm thread on the front, would something like a Hoya Red Intensifier be beneficial to my aims? Is there a better front threaded filter available for what I want? Or is a clip-in filter better?

Any help much appreciated,
Alyn

The short answer is maybe. 

A light pollution filter blocks certain wavelengths of light so you'll be able to take longer exposures. But because it blocks certain wavelengths, you'll need longer exposures to capture nebulosity.

Are you able to travel to a dark location? That would be my advice as you'll be able to take longer exposures without blocking any light which is a win-win. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this